Short Oxford Dic breaks 16,000 hyphens.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheAnswer, Sep 22, 2007.

1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I found the comment about typography and design effecting their decisions to be the most interesting. However, I wonder if that is just attempting to sugar-coat the fact that the general populous doesn't know when to properly use them.

Sadly, the article lacks a list of which words kept their hyphens intact.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Oh my, look all those errors! Obviously, they meant to use the words designled, oldfashioned, twovolume, firstrate, Twentyodd, and sugarcoat. :)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That might be so in display copy, but in continuous body text the line-breaking hyphen is (or should be) used judiciously to avoid ugly rags and rivers, my bête noire. ;)

And judging by my clients, especially the younger ones, they don't know what a hyphen is for... nor do they know how a semi-colon should be used.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It seems to me that either you should make the hyphenated word into two words or leave the hyphen in, depending on whether the sense is still clear without the hyphen. "Bumblebee" is a silly example, because you don't get "workerbees" or "queenbees", do you? Joining up the words leads to the same ungainliness you find with German numerals.