Short photos displayed as cropped to fit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PmattF, Sep 16, 2008.

1. PmattF macrumors member

I am noticing that in the iPhone photo display if I have landscape oriented image that is less wide than the screen's 3:2 aspect ratio, if I look at the photo with the screen horizontal, it displays as I would want and expect -- the entire image is visible, with black vertical borders on the left and right.

However, if I have a portrait oriented image that is less tall than a 3:2 aspect ratio, and I look at it with the phone vertical, it is displayed as zoomed to fill the entire screen, with a portion of the image on the right side cut off. If I used the two finger gesture to make the image smaller, then let go, it pops back out with the entire image visible, with black borders on the top and bottom.

Has this been discussed before? I have never seen it mentioned.

Is there any workaround other than re-cropping my images to 3:2?

2. PmattF thread starter macrumors member

I just tried loading in source images that were no wider than 320 pixels (the width of the phone screen), but even that does not work -- it still zooms them in to fill the screen vertically -- i.e. it interpolates the images to be larger than they really are, then cuts them off on the right.

Isn't this annoying anybody else? You don't mind not seeing your entire images when you look at them in the phone?