Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I have posted this in the digital video section but I would like to see the photographers point of view.

I film this as a trailer for two of my friends for a trip from John O' Groats to Lands End which they aim to complete in the Summer.

It was all filmed on a Canon 500d with a shoddy video lens (Sigma 18-250!)

However, that was the kit I had so I did the best job that I could.

If anyone has any tips or critique it would be most helpful as this is not the complete finished version!

Thanks

Link To Video (Bare in mind that it has just been uploaded so the quality is suspect as it is still being processed!

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
Very cool video. A lot of good concepts.

My biggest suggestion is that camera stability makes a lot of the difference between video looking professional & not. I think you could go a long way towards firming things up fairly easily:

- use an IS lens; the Canon 18-55 and 55-250 are better than many people think and quite inexpensive. There are plenty of other nice stabilized lenses out there if you've got the budget.

- I use a light monopod with a belt pouch for stability & mobility in my concert photography. Alternatively, there are DSLR shoulder stocks specifically made for video from folks like Zacuto.

- Zacuto makes an awesome DSLR screen viewfinder for video called the Z-Finder. The poor-man's version is the HoodLoupe at a small fraction of the price of the Zacuto (the HoodLoupe isn't bad, but you get what you pay for). In addition to better viewing, a viewfinder let you comfortably hold the camera how a DSLR was designed to be held i.e. in front of your face with your arms in their strongest position.

The monopod or stock prevents the big bumps (if you're careful), the IS smooths out the vibrations, and the finder helps you keep the camera in a stable position. I think the combination of these three inexpensive solutions should make your video plenty solid for the kind of work you're doing. It also has the added advantage of looking like you know what you're doing while you're filming with all that stuff attached to your camera :).

Good luck.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for the insightful tips.

I think that the shakiness is mainly due to being in the back of a car with no rig and nearly always at the longer end of the lens to make the most of the shallow depth of field.

If I had an endless budget I would buy a 550d myself and some nice lenses however, at the moment I am stuck with a rather un-film like Panasonic HDC TM300.

I really found viewing whilst shooting and reviewing was an issue so something like a z-finder would be great. However, at my current penniless state I may have to wait until I have been and finished Uni before I can go out and make some money!

Thanks for watching the film and coming up with the good tips!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.