Shortage or no Shortage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bjmach, Mar 9, 2012.

1. bjmach macrumors 6502

If you google Ipad 3 shortage or Ipad Shortage. There are a ton of articles about how the display is going to cause month long shortages for the Ipad. Looking right now it still says delivering on the 16th of March. Do you all think we are going to eventually hit a shortage and they will not be available? Trying to decide if I wanna grab another one and wait for the shortage to sell.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Rumor has it that Apple was better prepared this year for the demand than it has been in the past. New orders for some models in the U.S. are starting to slip by just a few days and U.K. orders are apparently slipping by up to a week. However, I think it was a lot worse last year at this point.

3. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

There were no preorders last year

But last year was MAYHEM, once the iPads sold out it was nearly impossible to find one for a few weeks.

I think steve jobs and tim cook have completely different approaches to launches. Steve seems to like the "selling out everywhere" deal, it was free publicity. The iPhone 4s and iPad launch seem to be less popular.

4. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Not that you can give much weight to this but I was looking at a poll on CNN and 85% of the respondents said they were not going to buy a new iPad. When you consider that Apple has sold 55 million iPads, many people are going to be satisfied with what they have.

Hanging out on MacRumors can sometimes give a false illusion of reality. Folks on here are loyal enthusiast.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, the market has been saturated with iPads over the past few years. Although this is a great upgrade, I think most people who already have iPads will not bother to upgrade for a few years at least.

Then again, people keep lining up for iPhones every year -- and its been on sale longer than the iPad.

6. gopnick macrumors regular

Tim Cook is a supply-chain genius.

One other way of looking at it: Apple is now the well-established market leader in this space. There's no reason to need to get the free press from shortages, and they have a good idea about what the demand will be. People buy the iPad because it is spectacular and the entire world knows it.

Apple has been at this long enough that people expect a good supply chain. I am not in the habit of predicting what a dead man would have done, but it's safe to assume that Jobs had some input on this before he died. He would have been tempted to do exactly as Tim Cook did in this case, and make sure plenty of units were available.