Shortcut for automatically resizing windows to fit screen?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spikey115, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Spikey115 macrumors member

Spikey115

Is there a shortcut in Mac OS X that resizes two or more open windows automatically so that each window is shown on the screen simultaneously? For example, I want to have a safari window open and a word document open so that one half of the screen is showing safari and the other half is word. I know I can resize them manually but I was wondering if there is a shortcut or a third party utility that resizes any open windows to fit the entire screen? This would be useful, for example, with the new 27 inch iMacs where the wide screen can easily display three (or more) windows side by side utilizing the entire screen area; having them resized automatically would be more productive than having to resize them manually. Any thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "tile window" function you describe that is available in Windows does not exist in Mac OS X. There may be some 3rd party app, but I'm not aware of one.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

4. Spikey115 thread starter macrumors member

Spikey115

I've downloaded it and it seems to not be working. I choose one of the selections from the menu but nothing happens. Maybe it's not compatible with Snow Leopard?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Could be. You didn't specify your OS. But, you probably noticed the requirement for 10.5 on the download page. I have 10.5.8 and just accidently downloaded it, trying to see if there was a System Requirements page. I might install it later and try it out, but, not for sure.