shortcut for email address

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keepingup, Jan 14, 2011.

1. keepingup macrumors member

I have long been wondering why my gmail address has to be typed in fully whenever I buy something online using one of my five macs? I think these shortcuts used to be called MACROS. Can anyone tell me how to have my gmail address appear when I type the first letter of my address?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It would be helpful, if you tell us what browser that you are using. I can tell you how to do it in Firefox, and I bet that I can find it in Safari.

3. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

4. JamesMB, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Open your Safari Prefs., select Autofil, select user names and passwords, and make sure that is checked. The first time that you go to a site, you will have to enter your login info manually so Safari can record it, after that, you should be good to go. I'm not a Safari user, so I don't know exactly how it works, but you might have to enter the first letter so that the browser knows what you are trying to do. Sometimes in Firefox, I have to enter the first letter of the "username" but FF always enters my Email address without any interaction. See if that will do what you want, if not you can follow the link above and set up some macros.

Attached Files:

5. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

ah...relief...it worked

Thank you so much James MB--it worked perfectly. A small matter in the large computing world but a daily annoyance for me for years has been vanquished. Have a great weekend!

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Glad that did what you wnted...You might explore some of those other preferences, and maybe even some extensions, they can be very helpful, and in some cases real time savers.