Shortcut for mounting a drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avlor, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Avlor macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've recently installed a second hard drive in place of my SuperDrive and now use SSD as my OS drive and a regular hard drive for data. However, when running on battery I want everything I can squeeze out of my mac so I tend to dismount the drive when on battery power. Dismounting is easy, just right click and eject, but mounting it back requires going into Disk Utility. Is there a way I can place a shortcut to mounting the disk/write some script so I don't have to go all the way to Disk Utility? Even better, maybe there is a way to code a script that would automatically mount the disk when I switch from battery to AC?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try making an alias to the disk, then you can place that in your Dock or another convenient place. Disclaimer: I don't know 100% for certain this will work, but I believe it will.

jW

3. Avlor thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, didn't work.. I get an error message saying the original item cannot be found. I think there should be some way to address the mount point, but i have no idea how to do it

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Doesn't look like it works:
    ScreenCap 6.PNG

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You could create a short shell script using the mount_hfs command, but it might be a bit of a pain to use.