Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Hello everyone,

i search for a shortcut that can mute only a single app on iOS 15 (including annoying ads with sound) but don't change the actual system volume. Can this be done with the Shortcuts app?

Tanks for your helping.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I think you can make it like ‘when I open this app then turn on mute’

Should be possible but I’m not sure about ‘when I close this app then turn it off’.

Sinfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
At the moment, I cannot try your tip. But i think your process would mute the whole system volume while the App XY is open.?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
There is no way to mute a specific app, or mute the device through a shortcut. This is because it's a physical switch on the iPhones, and shortcuts need to be compatible across all devices.

The best thing you can do is what matrix07 described. You would need one automation to set the volume to 0% when the app is opened, and another automation to set the volume back to 50% or whatever you like when the app is closed. Of course you wouldn't be able to listen to background music or anything like that though.

For something slightly more complex, you could use the Get Device Details action to get the current volume, save that to a note or file, and finally set volume to 0% when the app is opened. Then when the app is closed, read the value from the note/file and set the volume back to what it was before.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
If the app in question is a browser, there are better browsers

teflocarbon

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
Kanto
There is no way to mute a specific app, or mute the device through a shortcut. This is because it's a physical switch on the iPhones, and shortcuts need to be compatible across all devices.

The best thing you can do is what matrix07 described. You would need one automation to set the volume to 0% when the app is opened, and another automation to set the volume back to 50% or whatever you like when the app is closed. Of course you wouldn't be able to listen to background music or anything like that though.

For something slightly more complex, you could use the Get Device Details action to get the current volume, save that to a note or file, and finally set volume to 0% when the app is opened. Then when the app is closed, read the value from the note/file and set the volume back to what it was before.
No need to mess around with notes.
Just use Data Jar!

Reactions: BigBlur

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
No need to mess around with notes.
Just use Data Jar!
Neat! Thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: teflocarbon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.