Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hello. I am looking for help in being more efficient using the Find option in Chrome.

In Chrome, choosing Cmd + F will bring up the Find option, and then you see a pop-up box with matches.

1589914854000.png

What I am looking for is a way to navigate forward and backward within the matches found just using my keyboard.

Thanks.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Just hit enter

That was simple, but it doesn't solve what I was trying to do.

On the Washington Post, beneath each article are comments. Unfortunately they have relies collapsed. And I want to expand everything as easily as possible.

So in Chrome, I chose Cmd+F and searched on "Show More".

If I take your advice and press <enter>, it does indeed move me to the next "Show More" link.

However, when I click on the "Show More" to expand things, then control comes out of the search box, so I cannot hit <enter> again to move qucikly to the next "Show More".

If there are 2,000 comments, and there are 70 "Show more" links that need to be clicked and expanded, it is a very laborious process that i am trying to speed up.

Any ideas?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I don't think there's going to be an option to expand those via keyboard.
If you have clicked on the page, and the search window is still visible, you should be able to cmd+F again to highlight the search window and continue hitting enter to proceed through the replies.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I don't think there's going to be an option to expand those via keyboard.
If you have clicked on the page, and the search window is still visible, you should be able to cmd+F again to highlight the search window and continue hitting enter to proceed through the replies.

Yeah, that help a little bit.

Probably what I need to do is find a way to write a script that does this for me.

I read the news a lot and it's such a pain spending as much time clicking as reading.

But your tips help a little, so thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I thought you were "security-minded".
And... you're using Chrome.... ????

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I thought you were "security-minded".
And... you're using Chrome.... ????

Life is about trade offs...

I have so much blocking crap installed on Firefox, that it breaks most sites, and then I spend all day in uMatrix and NoScript unblocking the things I am trying to avoid, and so when I go to save article comments from the WP, I just do it in Chrome.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't?! :rolleyes:

I could stop using the Internet, but that's no fun...

Also, I cannot find anything that captures a proper WYSIWYG of full pages - as in 10, 20, 30 page web pages except for Chrome's "Full Page Screen Capture". (Queue the sirens... I'm sure this will cause another knockdown fight...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.