Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usuario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Central VA
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a shortcut for saving image in a web browser such as Firefox, Safari, or Opera?

I'm talking about saving multiple (but not all) pictures on a web page without having to Control-Click and select "Save Image As" for every picture.

Thanks,
Vince

Is there no such thing?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
There are some addons for Firefox that you can look at, but that's about it without doing some scripting.

thegilly

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I guess it depends what proportion of images on a page you want. For most purposes, I'm happy just dragging the ones I want off the web page onto my desktop/into a Finder window.

usuario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Central VA
Basically, I visit a couple of forums and I want to save a whole bunch of pictures in a thread, sometimes it's just one, other times I need to save like 30. Sometimes I miss the "Save Picture As" and end up accidentally clicking "E-mail Picture" which starts up Apple Mail and gets annoying. It looks like the best option I've found is to drag them to a Finder folder. Luckily I have two monitors but it seems like it would be hard to do for someone with only one monitor.

Someone mentioned a Firefox add-on?

TheSatyre

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
The only shortcut I know can be used if by clicking on the picture on the forum page, you are taken to a new window/tab that contains just the image. If this is the case you can use ALT+"left click on the picture" while on the forum page and the picture will automatically begin downloading to your designated download file. Basically what this shortcut does is copy the page that the link leads to. If the link leads to a site it copies the whole page. If the link however leads to a single image it copies that image as a .jpg
I have used this with mozilla but don't know about other browsers.
I hope this helps but if anyone knows a more general method please say so because I'm interested as well.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
The only shortcut I know can be used if by clicking on the picture on the forum page, you are taken to a new window/tab that contains just the image. If this is the case you can use ALT+"left click on the picture" while on the forum page and the picture will automatically begin downloading to your designated download file. Basically what this shortcut does is copy the page that the link leads to. If the link leads to a site it copies the whole page. If the link however leads to a single image it copies that image as a .jpg
I have used this with mozilla but don't know about other browsers.
I hope this helps but if anyone knows a more general method please say so because I'm interested as well.

With what youere saying, this is a great method if the filled or picture or video links directly to whatever you want to download. If not, you'll end up saving the whole page.

I use this as well sometimes :)

I do also save a lot of pictures from various sites so if someone knows of a good Firefox or chrome add on, let us know. :)

TheSatyre

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Recently started using this FireFox add-on that seems to make saving pictures a bit more seamless.
Basically what this can do, if you activate the right options, is instantly start downloading a picture from a site if you double-click it.
Granted it does slow down a bit if from a page of thumbnails for example you have to open each one that you want to download and then only double-click them but I think it beats the old "right-click, save image as, save" routine.
Hope this helps. If anybody knows any better tools please share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.