shortcut key restores from trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wingad, Jun 11, 2010.

1. wingad macrumors member

I found out today, much to my dismay, that pressing command+delete while in the trash does quite the opposite from what I intended.

While attempting to selectively empty files from the trash, I looked for a context menu that would allow me to permanently remove files individually. I could only find the 'empty trash' option which would dispose of all my files indeterminately. So then I started experimenting with key combos and intuitively tried command+delete. Pressing it made a nice trash sound and removed the file from the list. I sent an instant message to a friend (to who I had just moments before finished lamenting mac for not allowing me to delete only the files I wanted) exclaiming how I figured out how to do it after all. Then I quickly began 'command-deleting' all the files that I wanted.

WOW! Man was I pissed. After going through most of my list I realized that this key combo was actually RESTORING the files to their original location. I'm still pissed. I now have files scattered all over my system that I intended to have completely removed. Command+Z wouldn't even bring them back into trash.

Did anyone know about this? Does anyone know how I can delete files how I intended?

I guess I can see the two schools of thought where 'deleting' a file from the trash could mean putting it back or deleting it permanently, but really? And to complicate it, the accompanying sound effect is the same delete sound. Couldn't it have at least been an anti-delete sound?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. wingad thread starter macrumors member

I'm on Snow leopard, I don't know if you are or not, but being that the restore function is new to Snow Leopard, I assume the shortcut key is also.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/enhancements-refinements.html
    [​IMG]

5. wingad thread starter macrumors member

I think that we are not understanding each other. I am aware that the command delete shortcut will work on other versions of OSX for moving to the trash. I am also aware that the put back feature which you cited is new to OS10.6. My original post was that the same short cut that moves files to the trash (command+delete) will also move them back out of the trash. You stated that this did not in fact work for you. At this point I speculated that you might not have snow leopard because the feature for which you tried to use the shortcut key for would not have been implemented in earlier versions thus rendering the shortcut invalid. I was suggesting that the shortcut for moving files out of the trash was new.

Further, you have to use the shortcut on a file that has the put back ability. Not all files may be put back.

I found it stupid that they implemented the same shortcut for complimentary tasks and just wanted to alert others to its existence.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm understanding quite well. As my post indicates, the Command-Delete shortcut to move items to the trash applies not just to earlier versions of Mac OS X, but to 10.6 as well. Therefore, since that shortcut is already in use, it can't also be used by the same application for a different purpose, such as putting items back.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Same here - OS 10.5.8

That's what I thought also, but the OP's experience seems to contradict that principle. Does the Put Back command in the menu show a key combo? It's cut off in your screen shot.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The screen shot is directly from the Apple site and the keyboard shortcuts, which was last updated two weeks ago, shows no shortcut for Put Back.

9. wingad thread starter macrumors member

Awe, but it does! You are exactly wrong. You are making the same assumptions about the OS that I made initially but I found out to be wrong and that is why I made this thread to inform people about it. Only difference is that I actually have 10.6 so can speak about it and you are telling me that I am wrong without being able to validate your claims beyond supposing. I would have assumed also that the behavior would remain consistent, but I am telling you that it does not. When you are in the trash, the shortcut removes the item from the trash and restores it to the original location. So it is not a matter of not understanding but rather not believing. I know that command delete works in 10.6 to delete, I used it to get files into the trash. Knowing its effectiveness at deleting files, I decided to try to use it to permanently delete from the trash. In doing so I actually restored the files.

Can't someone else with snow leopard just confirm this so we can stop debating the validity. It obviously isn't going to work on 10.5 because the feature does not exist.

Gregg: There is no indication of a shortcut key for the put back feature. There are no shortcut keys indicated in the context menu for any of the actions.

There appears to be no indication about this shortcut anywhere, including the link that you cite, and that is why I am trying to alert some people about it.

10. anthony9h macrumors newbie

Saving from permanent loss

I understand what's being said with 'command-delete' ie. 'delete from trash' and hopefully expect all trash items to return to their original files. But it does't work on my 10.6. And 'put back' only works one item at a time, and not for the whole of trash. But since 99% of what appears in my Searched For files is not of my choosing, I put trash into Show Icons, and Put Back those few I want to keep from complete system delete.
    While we are on this, my Searched For collects all kinds of weirdness from somewhere, stuff and snips and dumb icons, completely foreign to me. If anyone can say something about these, or how to set up a firewall against them I would appreciate it.