Shortcut keys assigned to application not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clementwg, Nov 13, 2009.

1. clementwg macrumors newbie

There is an option to assign keyboard shortcuts to open an application. For example with command+O was set up to open Opera. But it will not open after that.

System Preferences>keyboard>Keyboard shortcuts>application shortcuts...to setup but after done, the application do not respond.

Anyone can help?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Um, almost every application has command+O mapped to open file. You might want to choose something a bit less ubiquitous. Try mapping control+O or something.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In other words, if your shortcut is not unique, you're creating a conflict. That's probably why Cmd + O isn't working the way you want it to.

4. clementwg thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried others too.

Believe me I tried so many other commands. alt-O command-p and so on. My friend has an older MB and it didn't work on his either. I went to an Apple computer store and the staff was equally puzzle. I don't mind trying any other command but does it work?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, I see what you're trying to do. No, I don't think you can set up a keyboard shortcut to open an application, at least not on Leopard. Quicksilver lets you map keyboard shortcuts to anything you want, though.

6. clementwg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BlueRevolution

Thanks for clarification. I now know what it does not do but what then does it do?

System Preferences>keyboard>Keyboard shortcuts>application shortcuts

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats for menus in applications. e.g. you can set Merge All Windows in Safari's Window menu to a keyboard shortcut.