Shortcut Q: Closing Firefox tabs with mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by citydreamer, Oct 5, 2010.

1. citydreamer macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Recently made the switch to Mac from PC - after over 12 years of exclusively, intensively using PC. Already I'm loving my MBP, and I've been trying to pick up as many nifty shortcuts as I can.

I couldn't figure out this one: Is there a way to close an individual Firefox tab by clicking it in conjuction with pressing a key? This way, I won't have to go straight to the "x" every single time when using the mouse. Cmd+W works, but only on immediate screen. I used to simply middle click to close a tab, but my new mouse's wheel button sucks!

Thanks for your time!

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I don't think there's a way of doing it. I've actually been looking for a way to a substitute for middle click on my trackpad, but to no avail :(

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

⌘ – middle click works (I have a Magic Mouse with Magic Prefs to give me a middle click)

4. citydreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried checking out Firefox add-ons? I did a quick search and found this one:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5981/

Hey mac2x,

My middle button (wheel button) actually sucks... but I found some cool Firefox add-ons that helped alleviate the issue!

Thanks

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. This should make things a bit easier.

7. citydreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I actually found a combination of a few add-ons to somewhat remedy my original situation. And with them, I actually found some other pretty cool features too!

First, I added "Rights to Close," which lets me double-right-click on a tab to close it. Also, simply double-right-clicking on the tab bar or even on the actual page closes it! Pretty cool.

I also had "Tab Utilities" which offered a ton of features, including setting actions to happen (like close tab, close other tabs, protect tabs, etc) with different mouse+key combinations (alt+click, ctrl+click, double click, etc). It solved my issues and offered me a lot more cool features, but it was too complicated and actually changed some stuff it shouldn't have... I didn't have time to configure it, so I just disabled it for now. I'll most likely revisit it in the feature.

I also found "All-in-One Gestures," which is a kick ass program that lets you perform browsing functions by either right/left/middle clicking on the screen, holding it, and making a shape (like, an "L" shape closes a tab, and a horizontal line going form right to left performs "Back"). Not only functional but pretty damn cool.

Anyway, no built-in functions in Mac or Firefox for my original issue, but I found a lot of cool remedies via Firefox add-ons.

Hope that helps!