shortcut to rename files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nuks, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

is there an quicker way (preferably a keyboard command) to rename a file in the finder (or on the desktop) than either command+i (which then involves another click) or a slow double click on the file itself?

Thanks.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

try just pressing enter/return on the file/folder. ;)

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I was about to reply with "Return key" but it seems a little redundant now :D

How about, open the terminal and type

mv oldfilename.txt newfilename.txt

4. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. milomak macrumors member

Ha. I would have never guessed this. I would have always thought that Enter would launch the file. Guess that's something new learnt today.

6. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Yes, that is one of the many irritating times, when OSX chooses to do things different than other Operating Systems (and, no, launching applications by pressing Enter has not been invented by Microsoft).

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Then by whom? Maybe some of those irritating things are the result of other Operating Systems choosing to do things differently than the original method pioneered by Apple. Just sayin'

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I am old, but not old enough to answer you this question. I am using computers only for a little over 20 years. But you know what? It was not Apple that invented computers or even GUI's!
    Funny thing is that virtually all OS'es (and filemanagers on computers that lack any decent GUI) that I have come across, use the Return-Key to launch files and/or applications. Even some of the better filemanagers on OSX do (anybody says iTunes here?) :eek:

It is so annoying for somebody working with different systems that there is not even an option to choose your preferred method in Finder. You know - software design is not natural law.

9. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

But OSX has little to do with it either. Macs have used that principle from the beginning. [i.e., return is for renaming.] Pressing a single key to launch an app??? That doesn't sound any less "irritating" quite frankly (rather, potentially more irritating... as it would make accidental launching far too easy).

Most irritating perhaps is folks who claim that not being able to launch apps by simply hitting the return key is "irritating".

:)