Shortcuts added to Places don't stay after reboot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milesdavis, Apr 10, 2008.

1. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Hello all --

Very frustrating. I added two folders to the Places sidebar. These are both folders from an external hard-drive. My first thought : somehow, you can't maintain places in the sidebar from an external.

So, I created an alias for both files, but them on the Macbook Pro HD, then added those aliases to the Places.

Turned off my computer, turned it back on -- and they are gone!

What the heck can I do to keep them there? It seems weird to have to add them every single time I start-up.

Thanks in advance!! MD

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just added a folder on my external drive to the sidebar, rebooted and its still there. no need to use aliases just drag it to the sidebar.

make sure your external drive is connected when you boot and you dont disconnect it when you want to use the folder and it should stay in the sidebar.

3. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Thanks. Weird, now they are staying, but their custom icons change back to default....the icons are correct on the external, but incorrect in finder...

totally inconsistent.

thanks for the help - MD

4. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Still having this problem! so annoying. If I don't use an alias, sometimes the folders stay, but my custom icons re-vert back to default. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks - MD

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry i dont use icons for my folders so i cant test it.

when you add a folder to the sidebar its actually an alias just like dock icons are aliases. this is why i told you not to put an alias in the sidebar cos then it would be an alias of an alias :eek:

so maybe the Finder ignores folder icons when in creates an alias in the sidebar? i dont think theres anything wrong with your Mac… its probably just standard behaviour.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

In my case, I'm on a Mac Pro. I have a 2nd internal drive, which I have a folder that I dragged to my finder sidebar. This sidebar alias will stay after reboots. However, it will be removed (and won't return) if I run disk utility, which unmounts the drive.

I have a feeling because yours is an external, this is the issue. Finder will remove it, and not return it, it the drive is unmounted, which I'm guessing is done during a reboot.

-Kevin

7. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

That makes sense to me. It's got to be the external drive thing. I removed the aliases and we will see... Oh, well. I can live with it at any rate.

Thanks for all the help! MD