Shortcuts & Aliases

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krky, Aug 23, 2012.

1. krky macrumors newbie

hi apple users,

after few days searching on google about my issue i desperated turn on this forum to ask if some1 had some similar problem.
    so here is the thing, i have 15 windows users and 10 mac users, this is media agency so they use big size files such as big pdf's, jpg's, adobe ilustrator images, photoshop images, etc.. users have same shared network drives, for now they are using outlooks, mail, enturage mail clients for sharing those files and thats a general problem here, files are duplicating, using large mbs transfers over network, etc.. i tried to solve this issue with teaching them to use shortcuts and now we got problem because i found one program to open windows shortuct in mac os x its called WinShortucutter, but if mac user send his shortuct (generaly i didnt send alias because alias take the same size ..) but thats not an option, so that means the mac user cannot send to win user his shortuct to win user, because even if it has mac user mapped drive file path of that shortuct is //volume/path/of/the/file.doc not like win share when it says Z:\\server\path\of\the\file.doc ... so is there only chanse to setup m$ sharepoint portal or what?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ever thought about using an External NAS or something along that line with such a large user base?

3. krky thread starter macrumors newbie

why nas? we have server for file sharing... and yes, i know what are u thinikng some nas devices have its own software to share files over network, but im not so shure that will solve problem, if win user send to mac user mail with content like this \\server\share\file.doc the mac user can open (with winshortcutter app installed) in oposite direction there will be no luck or success :)
    i dunno that nas will solve this...