Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Just wondering if anyone can help, I have set up the home app on my iPhone and I have invited my partner to it and allowed remote access to control devices etc...

On my phone I set up a shortcut which controls some of those devices, however, when I set up the same shortcut on my partners device it says something along the lines of:

‘This shortcut cannot be used when this device is away from, please set up a home hub in order to use this shortcut when away from home’

I have 4 home hubs set up in the home app, is it just a case of guests not being able to use shortcuts to control devices in the home app? Or is this just an iOS14 bug

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
That's interesting. Is it a shortcut or Automation? We have an automation to adjust the AC when we both leave and that works quite well. Shortcuts should not be limited to the owner only however.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
That's interesting. Is it a shortcut or Automation? We have an automation to adjust the AC when we both leave and that works quite well. Shortcuts should not be limited to the owner only however.

Hi, yes it’s just the shortcuts, it’s just coming up with the following error...

E0DE0C9B-64B2-41EA-9339-2E07FCAFD607.jpeg

Reactions: mariusignorello

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
When you click the link it just takes you to the HomeApp where you can clearly see 4 Home Hubs set up...

46D9DAF8-DFAE-4E9D-AE80-76639432E4B0.jpeg

I have tried all of the following:

Restarting my device
Restarting partners device
Removing and re-adding partner to the home
Rebooting all the Home Hubs
Deleted and reinstalled Shortcuts App on partners device

Nothing works, I am starting to think this is a shortcuts bug when using them to directly control HomeKit accessories possibly...

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
When you click the link it just takes you to the HomeApp where you can clearly see 4 Home Hubs set up...

View attachment 963062
I have tried all of the following:

Restarting my device
Restarting partners device
Removing and re-adding partner to the home
Rebooting all the Home Hubs
Deleted and reinstalled Shortcuts App on partners device

Nothing works, I am starting to think this is a shortcuts bug when using them to directly control HomeKit accessories possibly...
I think you’re right. Have you filed a bug report with Apple?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I am going to now I think because I don’t think it’s supposed to behave that way unless shortcuts are strictly limited to the home app where you are the main user

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.