Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUserUK

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2012
I don’t think you’ll find this satisfactory but it was fun trying. And I wouldn’t rule out being able to do it with a better understanding of IMDB services.

This shortcut will produces a link to IMDB that searches for the movie you enter, and sends separate messages to the people you enter into the Contacts step.

It doesn’t find the actual movie page which is what I think you wanted. Though, you have to understand there might always be multiple results for a film anyway.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ba1db342f5e743da9fd9bb7c7d59de0f

Amazing, thank you

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Can someone help me with this... please

I want a text box to appear, within this text box I can enter a movie title.

The shortcut will search IMDb for the movie and then send it as a link with some pretext (like, "New movie found on Sky") as a separate message to a few friends.

I don’t want friends to see each other’s number so separate message are best and the shortcut should do this automatically after I have entered the movie title.

Here’s my take: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/479c2518450042ca800dd266115c3331

This searches IMDB for your specified movie, finds the web page for the first one linking to an actual movie page and then sends that link to multiple contacts with some preamble.
[doublepost=1537310033][/doublepost]Tidied it up a bit and fixed a bug: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f5a07ddddf2f432bbbdc3b352963b95e

Reactions: GreyOS

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone. I’d like to suggest a tip if you will.

State what your shortcut is supposed to accomplish before just posting a link or screenshot. Many of us may not understand all the reasons for the steps (haven’t tried or ?) or may offer more efficient steps to assist or find breaks/operations not supported or non-working and a fix. Would be nice.

Hi everyone, is it possible to create a shortcut to delete safari history and browsing data? Thanks

Sneaky sneaky to hide all that p*rnhub history right Don Juan? ;)

Or “post on Instagram”, the caption seems to be ignored no matter what you try.

This would be cool. Vacation\Event tríos and have IG trigger front/rear camera and post at intervalos (except black pics). This would be cool. Yet I feel privacy concerns may surface, especially when shared.
[doublepost=1537310706][/doublepost]
Sure, it took some work (maybe an hour) but (1) you never have to do it again and (2) it will save you probably 1-2 minutes and likely 50+ keystrokes per use. On balance, I’m ok with that.

Sounds like a good Shortcut then. Cheers.
[doublepost=1537310741][/doublepost]
Yeah - good points. That's why I started this thread - so I can get help and ideas really taking advantage of the Shortcut. Good ideas on the text to a friend, etc.

Keep all the great ideas coming folks! Good stuff.

Great thread.

Reactions: Ntombi

The 12th Man

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Is there any way you can keep actions where you input data within Siri, instead of taking you to the Shortcuts App.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I don’t think you’ll find this satisfactory but it was fun trying. And I wouldn’t rule out being able to do it with a better understanding of IMDB services.

This shortcut will produces a link to IMDB that searches for the movie you enter, and sends separate messages to the people you enter into the Contacts step.

It doesn’t find the actual movie page which is what I think you wanted. Though, you have to understand there might always be multiple results for a film anyway.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ba1db342f5e743da9fd9bb7c7d59de0f

You are on a roll today!

Reactions: badatusernames

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a way to program the shortcuts app to read the news? I know I can ask Siri to "read me news from NPR" etc, but want to have this programmed into a step of my workflow.

Thanks!

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
IMG_793073C71BE0-1.jpeg

Does anyone know if there is a way to program the shortcuts app to read the news? I know I can ask Siri to "read me news from NPR" etc, but want to have this programmed into a step of my workflow.

Thanks!

Not possible. IIRC. However, if the NPR One app adds support for shortcuts then, yeah.

EDIT: Maybe you can with the Apple Podcast app (if it shows up that action as a Siri suggestion)

EDIT 2: Yeah you can.

Simply open the Podcast app and play your podcast. Then go back to the shortcuts app it should be added to the Siri suggestions.

Last edited:

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
View attachment 783547

Not possible. IIRC. However, if the NPR One app adds support for shortcuts then, yeah.

EDIT: Maybe you can with the Apple Podcast app (if it shows up that action as a Siri suggestion)

EDIT 2: Yeah you can.

Simply open the Podcast app and play your podcast. Then go back to the shortcuts app it should be added to the Siri suggestions.

Thanks for this. I tried getting that to work this morning but it seemed to play the podcast for all of 2 seconds before jumping to the next step (making a phone call). Will keep playing around!

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Thanks for this. I tried getting that to work this morning but it seemed to play the podcast for all of 2 seconds before jumping to the next step (making a phone call). Will keep playing around!

Maybe I can help. What are all the steps you would like to do?

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I think what’s happening is that it’s moving to the next step (making a call) immediately, without waiting for the podcast to complete.

So I want it to start with the NPR podcast, then when that’s done, initiate a phone call (to the same person each time). Is there a way of forcing it to wait?

Thanks so much!

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
IMG_7B83A84B3582-1.jpeg
I think what’s happening is that it’s moving to the next step (making a call) immediately, without waiting for the podcast to complete.

So I want it to start with the NPR podcast, then when that’s done, initiate a phone call (to the same person each time). Is there a way of forcing it to wait?

Thanks so much!

It's a little finicky but this should work. I can't get an accurate way to get the total time for the podcast episode. I might need to do an action that downloads the podcast feed, get the time of most recent episode and then wait for the amount of time.

I think a more reliable way would use shortcuts with an app like LaunchCenter Pro.

Also, I am not sure if shortcuts have a limit on how long they an execute. I'll do some more testing.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
View attachment 783556

It's a little finicky but this should work. I can't get an accurate way to get the total time for the podcast episode. I might need to do an action that downloads the podcast feed, get the time of most recent episode and then wait for the amount of time.

I think a more reliable way would use shortcuts with an app like LaunchCenter Pro.

Also, I am not sure if shortcuts have a limit on how long they an execute. I'll do some more testing.

If you notice, there’s no little line connecting the podcast action to the next action. That means there’s no input being passed so it executes immediately. However, I figured out you can get the podcast to stop by placing a timer action (you’ll have to set a timer manually, with the ending action for the timer being Stop Playing, and then insert it as a Siri suggestion) immediately below the podcast. Problem is that on my iPad it shuts off the podcast but does a respring. I’ll try it on my phone also.

If you are looking for something to read written news, this Shortcut from Sharecuts.app might help.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5876f98ac15343f4881bb1749e85c77b

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
If you notice, there’s no little line connecting the podcast action to the next action. That means there’s no input being passed so it executes immediately. However, I figured out you can get the podcast to stop by placing a timer action (you’ll have to set a timer manually, with the ending action for the timer being Stop Playing, and then insert it as a Siri suggestion) immediately below the podcast. Problem is that on my iPad it shuts off the podcast but does a respring. I’ll try it on my phone also.

If you are looking for something to read written news, this Shortcut from Sharecuts.app might help.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5876f98ac15343f4881bb1749e85c77b

Great! I was thinking about using a timer. Just didn't get around to it :-D

EDIT: Nope, I am not sure that will work. I believe the user wants the podcast to play and when it's finished to automatically place a call.

If you notice, there’s no little line connecting the podcast action to the next action.

Yeah I am aware ;-D

Last edited:

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
How do you send an ETA with map instead of the text of a place. I've tried changing to image instead of text but no luck.

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
I've tried that but it breaks the chain of commands between images from input and the Text that tells the arrival time which needs to be connected to current location to determine the travel time. I've kinda just given up and just set up a share location with a visual map. So I'll just send the ETA shortcut followed by share location.

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
I set the shortcut up for heading me workplace via Apple maps. how can I force to use Google maps instead?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
If anyone can suggest a better smart outlet that doesn't break the bank and is homekit supported I'm listening.

Koogeek. They use WiFi and have HomeKit support built in. I've bought two from TomTop (they have an app) for 48 euro couple of months ago. They haven't let me down once.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I've tried that but it breaks the chain of commands between images from input and the Text that tells the arrival time

In that case you can use variables to store the various pieces of info that you want to hold onto until completion.
[doublepost=1537353603][/doublepost]
I set the shortcut up for heading me workplace via Apple maps. how can I force to use Google maps instead?

What are the steps in your shortcut?

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
Is there a shortcut one could run to have it pull up your store card/pass when you get to a respective location? May have to wait till the app enables it I suppose, or it becomes a Siri Suggestion. Just thinking of like when you get to Starbucks, it has the card on your phone ready to go for you, etc.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Is there a shortcut one could run to have it pull up your store card/pass when you get to a respective location? May have to wait till the app enables it I suppose, or it becomes a Siri Suggestion. Just thinking of like when you get to Starbucks, it has the card on your phone ready to go for you, etc.
You mean for store cards that don’t already have suggest on lock screen built in?

I’m not aware of any actions relating to bringing up specific cards, though I’m always surprised by people’s hacky way to achieve things!

But you should know that shortcuts are never triggered by location. You’ll always have to manually start them. So even if there was a shortcut you could start to open a card relevant to your location, at that point it might be easier just to open Wallet from Control Centre.

Tomloes

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
I would like to add a shortcut for this app called "Kasa" which is to use a smart outlet. Sadly this app doesn't show up in the list of available apps. No idea why?

App: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/kasa-smart/id1034035493?mt=8

I really hate this app and regret buying the outlet because of the lack of support and connection issues it has, but it was low cost on amazon. If anyone can suggest a better smart outlet that doesn't break the bank and is homekit supported I'm listening.

IFTTT has Kasa integration, so you could go that route (though with it being removed from Workflow, it's a bit convoluted).

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Well this was interesting. When I ran this my phone got crazy hot, and battery dropped from 92% to 52% in about 30 seconds. No joke. Either there is a bug, or using Wait is crazy battery intensive for some reason.

76cd77e7b45e596618761df4be832af9.png

infinitedreams

macrumors regular
May 3, 2017
Just tried the app out for the first time and made a couple of shortcuts that are probably unique, they’re not perfect but would like to share them with you all!

1. Display IP address (choose from External or Internal IP) https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c8e644218147428fa1e063828b3673aa

2. Change brightness to lowest setting https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f872173796ae472d838cbbdc141f2f64

3. Mute device https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f486893f714740ceafe90b6bbb143351

4. Convert to PNG https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a45605d52b7143a1ac73d44008ab48b1

5. Create ZIP file and save to iCloud Drive https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/847e4449ef7d4099b1fdfaf843895504

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.