shortcuts do not work ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kaizoku, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Kaizoku macrumors newbie

Hi,

After several months of thinking, I finally switched to Mac by buying a white MacBook yesterday. I'm trying to master the shortcuts since I use them all the time but I'm having troubles using the shortcut for looking up a word in the dictionary (Command-control-D). I tried to use it many times but it didn't work, I don't know if I'm supposed to fix something in the system preferences? I mean, it's really boring that I have to right-click words to perform this task !!

Another question is what is the Fn button used for ? it shows me my desktop whenever I push it, but I'm sure there's something more about it lol :p

any suggestions ?

2. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I tend to have the dictionary open in Dashboard and jump into that when ever I need it.

3. Kaizoku thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do that, but the shortcut would've been much more convenient :(
    I even tried and changed the shortcut into some other shortcuts I made up but none of them worked !!
    btw, I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.1 and it's up to date !

4. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

To get the shortcut to work hold down control and command, hover over the word, then press D. Works for me.

5. Kaizoku thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried and did that but it's still not working !!

I guess I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow or take it to the Apple store I bought it from. If I'm getting problems with the keyboard from the second day then I wonder what's gonna happen in the future !

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It only works in certain Cocoa based programs like Safari and Mail. It seems to developers of the program have to turn on that functionality.

The fn key (function key) is to access the F1 - F12 keys. Depending on your keyboard it'll also access the number keys that are setup in the number pad configuration (the 1 2 3 on the j k l).

7. Kaizoku thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I'm aware of that, actually I tried on both Safari and the TextEditor and it didn't work !! I also changed the shortcut several times to things like (fn f5 or fn f6) and none of them worked ! it's driving me nuts !

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Use System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Dictionary to change the shortcut to something involving less keys. Next, in Safari, place the cursor over a word and press your shortcut key. It works in all the places that use OSX's built-in spell check. It doesn't work in some programs, notably browsers like Firefox or Mozilla, which handle their own input.

Before you return the machine, call Applecare. Phone support came with the machine

9. skwij macrumors 6502

10. Kaizoku thread starter macrumors newbie

Updates:

I called Applecare this morning, and after spending about an hour of trying different things, I ended up reinstalling my operating system using the CDs that came with my machine, and now it's working just fine :D

Thanks for trying to help guys, I appreciate it ;)