Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hello,

I just bought a second hand Apple Wireless Keyboard (the one that was produced from 2009 I believe), and I noticed that the shortcuts don't work on my iPad. Like CMD-H to go back to the home screen, CMD-Space to search, CMD-Tab to switch Apps, etc. I am using iOS 8.3 so I was wondering if it has anything to do with that. I can't even do simple things, such as using the up & down arrows when I type something in the Safari adress bar to scroll through the things I've already searched. The only thing that works is typing here (right now), where I can also use the arrows to go anywhere through the text, and also brightness, volume, etc.

So maybe it's iOS 8 that's the problem and most of the features came just later? It confused me a bit however, because I saw older posts where people on iOS 7 were talking about shortcuts too.

Thanks!

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I've tested it with my iPhone 5s now. Same story. It uses iOS 8.4.1, so I start to believe it is a software thing and that most keyboard shortcuts only became available with iOS 9 – but maybe someone can confirm this. (BTW, my iPad is a first gen iPad Air, I forgot to mention that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.