Shortcuts for typing ACCENT MARKS doesn't work?

ben37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Hey all.
On mavericks here and I'm realizing that the shortcuts I used to use for foreign language accent marks no longer work....

This describes how I used to do it:

To get accents on the Mac, hold down the Option key, and while holding it down, type the letter e; then release those keys and type the letter that you want the accent to appear on:

á = Opt + e, then a
é = Opt + e, then e
í = Opt + e, then i
ó = Opt + e, then o
ú = Opt + e, then u
For the ñ, hold down the Option key while you type the n; release and type n again.

ñ = Opt + n, then n

What setting needs to be switched on/off for these shortcuts to work while writing text? thanks!

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Hey all.
On mavericks here and I'm realizing that the shortcuts I used to use for foreign language accent marks no longer work....

This describes how I used to do it:

To get accents on the Mac, hold down the Option key, and while holding it down, type the letter e; then release those keys and type the letter that you want the accent to appear on:

á = Opt + e, then a
é = Opt + e, then e
í = Opt + e, then i
ó = Opt + e, then o
ú = Opt + e, then u
For the ñ, hold down the Option key while you type the n; release and type n again.

ñ = Opt + n, then n

What setting needs to be switched on/off for these shortcuts to work while writing text? thanks!
I'm not sure your shortcuts are correct...

try opt-a, opt-e, opt-u, etc., then the letter you want to have an accent for

û
ü
é

This is how it has always worked as far as I can recall.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Both sets are correct, they just do different types of accents.

Check System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources. If your primary language is English then you should use an English input source; other sources may not provide the same accents. For example, US and Kotoeri do, but Maori doesn't (I don't have experience with any others).

Last edited:

ben37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Both sets are correct, they just do different types of accents.

Check System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources. If your primary language is English then you should use an English input source; other sources may not provide the same accents. For example, US and Kotoeri do, but Maori doesn't (I don't have experience with any others).

Weird, in System prefs>inputs it was set to unicode hex, whatever that is! I changed back to english and now they work!

Danke Schön!