Shortcuts? Mac experts please help

Pc2mac2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got my first Mac recently, I'm used to using a lot of keyboard Shortcuts on windows but I'm havin trouble with that on the Mac! So what are ur top 10 keyboard Shortcuts u always use?
Thanks guys

gox81

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
i think everything is similar except windows control is replaced by the cmd button on apple.
cmd + c, cmd + p, cmd + tab, cmd + t (in firefox) are the ones i use the most off the top of my head.

applemacman

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Dallas, Tx.
Here's a link to the official apple support page listing the standard os x keyboard shortcuts.

I mostly just use the following (some of the more obvious ones first):

Command-N
Command-V
Command-C
Command-W
Command-X
Command-Z
Spacebar (Quick Look)
Option-Shift-Command-Esc
Option-Spacebar (I setup as the shortcut for quicksilver launcher instead of spotlight)
Control-Zoom with mouse

Pc2mac2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

applemacman said:
Here's a link to the official apple support page listing the standard os x keyboard shortcuts.

I mostly just use the following (some of the more obvious ones first):

Command-N
Command-V
Command-C
Command-W
Command-X
Command-Z
Spacebar (Quick Look)
Option-Shift-Command-Esc
Option-Spacebar (I setup as the shortcut for quicksilver launcher instead of spotlight)
Control-Zoom with mouse
Thanks a lot for the link very helpful

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Oh...and a big diff between PC and Mac:

cmd-Q will quit the application. Clicking on the red circle in the corner will just close the window, but leave the app running.

pctomac2011

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011

I got my first Mac recently, I'm used to using a lot of keyboard Shortcuts on windows but I'm havin trouble with that on the Mac! So what are ur top 10 keyboard Shortcuts u always use?
Thanks guys
LOL nice name :p "pc2mac2011". When did you signup here? I did a few days ago and choose pctomac2011. lol

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
You can find a bunch of web pages with OS X keyboard shortcuts by Googling OS X keyboard shortcuts. To get you started though here is Apple's page on it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

You can also create your own custom keyboard shortcuts, in the link above scroll down and you will find a link that has instructions.