Apps Shortcuts on Apple Watch

PR.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Ok so now Workflow is Shortcuts the dedicated AppleWatch app has vanished, a little annoying but it was very crash prone for me anyway, at least I can run the Shortcuts that have been added to Siri Shortcuts (right?), but that doesn't seem to happen?

I tried the two Siri Shortcuts that call on Shortcuts from my watch and both came back 'Don't recognise that command'

revox12

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2015
I was so bummed/aggravated when I discovered this today. Insane that Apple would remove Watch functionality from this app. My two main Workflows are built for when I don't have my phone and need to log something quickly using my Watch. Hopefully Apple brings back Watch integration ASAP.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Just found this out on my watch. What a lame move by Apple, much touted Siri shortcuts feature doesn't work on Watch glad I didn't spend a fortune by spending on Stainless steel watch.

dbrewood

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I was so bummed/aggravated when I discovered this today. Insane that Apple would remove Watch functionality from this app. My two main Workflows are built for when I don't have my phone and need to log something quickly using my Watch. Hopefully Apple brings back Watch integration ASAP.
Exactly the same here I had written a couple of pretty complex workflows for tracking my caffeine and water intake and now have to use the widget to run them which is nowhere near as convenient. Apple truly dropped the ball here.

Kermetajb

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
Ok so now Workflow is Shortcuts the dedicated AppleWatch app has vanished, a little annoying but it was very crash prone for me anyway, at least I can run the Shortcuts that have been added to Siri Shortcuts (right?), but that doesn't seem to happen?

I tried the two Siri Shortcuts that call on Shortcuts from my watch and both came back 'Don't recognise that command'
I am also having issues triggering shortcuts on the watch. Sometimes they just time out. Other times it thinks I don’t have the app, etc.

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
Had a lot of problems yesterday. But today shortcuts from Siri seems to be working better - not great - better.

fraternihil

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
For me shortcuts also do not work on the AW, although they execute just fine on the iPhone. Hope they’ll fix this ASAP.

Edit: Seems to be working now.

Last edited:

brezz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Any tips on how you got them to work? I’m having the same issue where Siri doesn’t recognize the command for the shortcut.

PR.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Mine wouldn't work at all, however I picked up a Series 4 this morning and after unpairing my old Series 2 and restoring the backup to the Series 4 Shortcuts now work as expected.

dbrewood

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Mine wouldn't work at all, however I picked up a Series 4 this morning and after unpairing my old Series 2 and restoring the backup to the Series 4 Shortcuts now work as expected.
If you don't mind advising how easy is it to swap watches?

brezz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
I unpaired my Series 3 watch and the shortcuts are working better after re-pairing. It’s still a little buggy but it’s at least functional.

PR.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Very easy, open the Watch app on the iPhone tap the (i) next to your current Watch and select Unpair Apple Watch, it then takes a backup of the current Watch and wipes it. You then just pair the new Apple Watch and during the pairing you'll be given the option to restore from the backup. Took around 10 minutes to unpair my old one, pair the new one, and restore the backup.

Reactions: oeagleo

dbrewood

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Very easy, open the Watch app on the iPhone tap the (i) next to your current Watch and select Unpair Apple Watch, it then takes a backup of the current Watch and wipes it. You then just pair the new Apple Watch and during the pairing you'll be given the option to restore from the backup. Took around 10 minutes to unpair my old one, pair the new one, and restore the backup.
Thanks for that. I'll have a double wammy as I'll be switching from my current X to a XS Max, so I guess move phones first then confirm the S3 is working with the XS then switch watches over?

PR.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Cloudy memory from last year but when I switched from a 6S to X I just had both phones next to each other and the setup assistant asks if you want to transfer from the 6S to X I said yes and it took a latest iCloud Backup and then restored that to the X, once that was done the Watch re-paired to the X (it may have asked if you want to do this but I can't remember 100%).

Overall it was very easy!

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
One other thing, you don't necessarily need to un-pair your "old" watch. I wanted to keep my series 3 as it was in case I didn't like the series 4 that I purchased. I simply went into the watch app, on the "my watch" tab, and hit (+Add New Watch). It asked if I wanted to restore from backup, there was one from earlier that day, and boom, I had the new watch restored, functional, and on my arm while sitting in the car outside the mall where the Apple store was. Old watch still the way it was. AWESOME!
Might also come in handy if you want to keep the "old" watch as a backup.

dbrewood

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Now that is good to know I may go that route whilst transitioning over. Once I then have both watches linked to the X I can then back that up and use it to set up the Xs Max via iTunes. Sounds like a plan!

Reactions: oeagleo

Cmirabile

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
It is not particularly hard, but it is very slow. When you unpair using the iPhone apple watch app, it first asks you if you want to keep or delete your cellular plan (if it is a cellular watch) then makes a back up, then wipes and reboots the watch, which takes forever. Then it asks you if you want to set it up as a new watch or restore it from a backup. Both are easy to do, but again, they take a while. I'd estimate from having done it the other day that it takes about 45-60 mins for the whole process?

Reactions: dbrewood

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
I think the thread is deviated... the topic here is about why workflows (now called shortcuts by Apple) has been disappeared from watch. And why we cannot tell watch’s Siri a record to raise some shortcuts...

Somebody knows?

brezz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Despite getting some of them to work after unpairing my watch, it’s still very buggy from the watch. Anytime I try to use Siri on the watch to activate a shortcut with some map feature, it doesn’t work. The “Work ETA” shortcut will freeze halfway through opening it, I can watch it on the phone as it tries to activate it and it fails. Others work pretty well (ie: Carrot, playing a playlist).

I also don’t see any shortcuts appearing on the Siri Watch Face, but that’s not as big of a deal.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
OK..thought it was me and that I was doing some wrong with Apple Watch and commands and shortcuts. Hope this return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.