Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggyG86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2021
So last year I switched my default browser to Chrome. I got fed up of using chrome on my PC and safari on my iPhone and found syncing passwords from keychain was not great. So now chrome does the lot for me.

For years I have added some of my favourite sites to my Home Screen as shortcuts. I find this an easy way to get to everything. The workaround in iOS14 was to create a shortcut which I placed on my home screen and launched the url in chrome. This was even better than the old safari method as I could make my own icons. For example I have a link to macrumors, and have set their logo as the icon.

Since upgrading to iOS 15, I now get a privacy banner when I try to launch one of these URLs which says ‘Allow “MacRumors” to share data with (null)?’
I then have an option for allow or do not allow. The presence of the word null indicates to me this is something not working as intended. I’ve checked the Privacy Settings, tried turning a few things off and on and nothings worked. I’ve checked and it behaves the same for both http and https links too.

Has anyone got any ideas?

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I have run into this same issue. It is definitely an iOS 15 bug, as it was working totally fine before updating. Mine is I have a note with some words on it, and then I use the "Search [search engine] for [variable - taken from list]". This is where it's breaking. I think it works with Safari, but it breaks with Chrome.

Not sure if it's a Google Chrome app update that broke it, or if it truly is Apple's fault with something happening in iOS 15. I hope this gets fixed soon though, as I run this shortcut every day. I use it to search for the same searches every day (stocks).

Reactions: Justin_Case

Justin_Case

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
I have the same problem but it happens with the Xfinity “Stream” app. I don’t think a browser is involved. Very frustrating. Used to work in iOS 14. Anyone found a solution?

Attachments

• 5EAFE2B6-2DD7-46A3-9F5F-D8D8A44E0F7E.jpeg
    5EAFE2B6-2DD7-46A3-9F5F-D8D8A44E0F7E.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 109

BiggyG86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2021
I have the same problem but it happens with the Xfinity “Stream” app. I don’t think a browser is involved. Very frustrating. Used to work in iOS 14. Anyone found a solution?
So this morning the issue has resolved itself. Overnight Chrome updated (I’ve been running 15.0.2 for a few days with no change) so that leads me to believe it was a Chrome bug. It’s possible you need to report to other app developers

Beny1

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2022
I have the same problem it is very annoying, hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.