Shortening Bootcamp boot time?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Demigod Mac, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I just set up my Mac Pro (6-core) with AHCI mode, using a Mercury Extreme SSD. It's blazing fast. However, the Windows 7 speed is lacking in Boot Camp mode.

Cold boot times:

Mac OS X: 28 seconds
    Windows 7 (Parallels): 12 seconds
    Windows 7 (Boot Camp): 69 seconds

Any way to speed things up at all, and why's it take that long?
    I have 12 GB of RAM, if that's what's making the POST process take over twice as long as OS X.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's a really good question. Did you install a ton of startup programs/services? Because there's definitely something wrong there.

My Macbook pro boots to a usable desktop in 50 seconds from the chime, and the desktop finishes loading the gadgets in 71 seconds. This is running on a 2006 Macbook Pro, 5400rpm HDD, Windows Vista, 3gb's of RAM, and includes the time it took me to type in my password.

From my rough troubleshooting knowledge, there's a AHCI driver maybe that you can install for improved performance? Good luck? :confused:

3. Demigod Mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already installed the Intel AHCI driver.

My startup is very slim. Windows 7 boots in 12 seconds on Parallels. I find most of the delay is in the POST process and possibly the initial OS boot. I also suspect it could be due to the large amount of memory I have installed.

4. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Do you have the most recent firmware for your SSD? I'm not sure if it is an issue with the Mercury Extreme or not but I just had to do an update to me seagate momentus XT.

I also reset the PRAM and SMC and OSX now boots in 19 seconds from the time I touch the power button and win7 boots in about 35 - 40 seconds in bootcamp.

This is on an MBP core i5 with 8GB of RAM.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Something is definitely wrong if OSX takes that long. My 2009 iMac takes 12 seconds once the actual boot begins. The only thing that slows it down is if I have external hard drives plugged in that have to be spun up. I have an OWC Memory Extreme SSD too, and there was recently a firmware update to it. Here is the link to the download. At the moment, it's Windows-only, but since you already run it you're fine there. Make sure to run the update in Boot Camp and not Parallels.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny