Shotgun Mic?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ComicStix, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ComicStix macrumors member

I have a JVC GRDA30U camera pic here: [​IMG] So I want to start making shorts and the internal microphone is not cutting it. I want to buy a shotgun that I can just put on the camera. I DO NOT NEED PROFESSIONAL RESULTS AND I DON'T WANT TO BUY A NEW CAMERA. I just need it so that the audio is clear enough so people will stay interested. I won't be shooting across fields I just need the people who I am recording near me to be able to be heard without wind and excessive background noise. My price range would be 100 dollars and less and please stay in that range. ( Poor teen :p) If anyone could help it would be appreciated!

2. danimal99 macrumors regular

3. Leddy macrumors regular

The Rode video mic is a reasonably priced shotgun for this kind of situation.

It mounts to a hot shoe which may be a problem in your case, unless you grab a small tripod and extension lead for it (though mounting the mic away from the camera and closer to the source is a good idea as you minimise camera noise that way) ... Does your camera have a mini jack in for the mic as this is the fitting on the Rode video mic ...

Cheers.

4. Seo macrumors regular

Yes, since you're only contemplating on-camera mounting, there's no hope for good audio, and therefore no requirement for a great mic. In this case, the RVM is pretty much standard. They're used on HDSLRs very often for syncing and backup purposes, much like the built in mics on news cameras are used.

But a hyper or cardioid mic could possibly perform better, because of the wider polar pattern. Then again, those can be expensive. So my suggestion still is the RVM. You'll have to find a way to mount it and its built in shockmount though.

EDIT: I took a look at the spec sheet and realized you don't have any mic input. In that case, you have to buy a different camera in order to record anything onto the camera. Not really anything you can do about it.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Dumb question maybe, but can you confirm that your camera actually has a jack for external microphone input? The one site I found in Google seems to indicate that it doesn't.

6. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Nope - no mic input socket! You're gonna need another camera.... :(