Shotgun Mics for hand held field use

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Gumbo, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Gumbo macrumors newbie

I am a visual artist who is now wanting to add sound to my work. I have a Tascam prota studio that is about 20 years old and I just recently purchased a Zoom H4. I have been collecting sound from the environment with the H4's built in mic and an old Shure 588SD Unisphere B. Due to the fact that I cannot isolate sounds with either of these mics I am looking to buy a shotgun mic. The majority of use will be hand held while walking in a variety of locations such as city streets, woods, corn fields, etc. so a boom is unrealistic. I have been recommended a Rode NTG-2 but am seeking advise from someone who would be using mics in this way. I like the versatility of the Azden SGM-2X but am unsure how it would function in my application. After collecting these sounds I am editing on Garage Band and have tinkered with Cubase.
    Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the mic will not be on camera, correct? (meaning: it's not a shoot with an on-screen interviewer holding a mic)

if i were looking for a shotgun mic and didn't feel like spending the money on a schoeps (which are awesome), i'd be looking at the brand Sanken. B&H carries them and could talk through your needs.

whatever you get, you'll want a pistol grip for it, like this one. or if you'll be outdoors, you probably want the whole fuzzy-monkey/zeppelin kit, such as this.

3. CalumC macrumors regular

Beat me to it. I use CMC6u cardioids for drum overheads, absolute monster.