Shoud I go for the 16gig?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VietlOtUs, Aug 5, 2008.

1. VietlOtUs macrumors member

I plan on purchasing a MacBook with the 8 gig Ipod Touch rebate incentive (Back to School deal).

I would be using the ipod for music, uploading videos on it to watch on trips/night, and playing games and surfing the net.

What would be a better choice for me? upgrade to 16gig (I'll be paying $100 out of my pocket) or stay with 8gig?

I am a noob to the ipod touch and Mac world... so please break every option/possibilities down for me. Thanks a lot!

:D

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Depends on how much you'll put on it, which nobody on macrumors can dictate.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Here we go again. As with any memory device, you get the most memory you can afford.

Thanks to the iPod Touch's great video you will find that you will be using it more for video content. I have an 8GB Touch and have used up almost all that space with 120 songs and 30 videos. I have about 1GB free.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

You're lucky. I have all the seasons of house and like 30 2-hr movies and 12 gigs of music. I only end up syncing music and a few shows or a movie.

To the OP, get as much as you can afford. When I get my 30gb video iPod, I never thought I'd fill it. That was until I discovered how awesome it is to rip my DVDs and watch them while on the go.

5. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

I was trying to see the extra $100 is worth it or not... BTW, I checked the Buyer's Guide section and it recommends that one should not buy the MacBook because it's the end of the cycle... what does that suppose to mean?? Please explain.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Given the $100 differene between 8gb and 16gb models, and the going retail rate of 8gb memory being $25 to $40, it's hard to justify based on cost. If you had asked "16gb or 32gb?" it would be easier to justify the 32 as that last 16gb is worth closer to the $100 price difference.

I've got an 8gb model, and find I'm pushing it's capacity, mainly with music and apps. My wife has a 16gb, and has yet to use more than 6gb or so of it. We might just trade, as our use of the Touch is different and my pattern is more likely to need the higher capacity.

If you're certain you'll need all that capacity with you all the time, get the 16. I simply cycle stuff on and off my 8 and it keeps me happy. Ultimately you just need to decide.

9. mkaake macrumors 65816

I picked up an 8 gigger as a part of the deal, and I'd recommend going with the 16. I've got a decent sized iTunes library (about 12 gigs), of which I'm syncing less than 4 gigs. I also keep some pics on there for when people want to see updates on my kids / family. Right now, I've got just over 3 gigs free - and I can't imagine I can hold as many movies on there as I'd like (I like the idea of being able to hold several full length movies to keep the kids entertained if need be on long trips).

Love the iPod, but looking back, realizing that this was nearly free, and for only $100 (especially compared to the regular price), it would have been more than worth it in my case to pick up the 16.

Fantastic little device. It's everything I wanted my Newton to be.

10. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I would like to hold off 'till September to see if the new MacBook is coming out and the rumors about the new Ipod Touch... but I think I'll go ahead and take advantage of the back-to-school incentive. :D

I rather have more than less too. My little brother will probably all over it, to watch movies.

11. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

go with more memory. .
    i'm so careful with my ipod (8gigs) after having a 30 gig. . so go with more memory. it fills up faster than you know it!!

12. shoney macrumors newbie

shoney

Size does matter!

I have to agree, the more you can afford, then go for that size, better to have too much than too little!

13. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i was in the same boat too. Just think of it this way.. You have a long trip..airplane ride...etc..and you want to bring 3-4 movies for the ride itself..the waiting etc... that is going to be 3GB or so or more. Plus you never get the fulll amount you buy..some of it is already gone.

just pay the extra 100. ..it will keep you happy for 2 years or so and then see what the current ipod model is like to upgrade