Should 02 be obligated to unlock when your contract is finished?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanwarsaw, Jun 9, 2009.

?

Should 02 unlock your phone after completion of your contract?

1. No

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Yes

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The question is very simple..... and applies to all carriers not just 02. Should a carrier be obligated to give you an unlock code for your phone once you have honored all conditions of your contract?

2. samab macrumors 6502a

You agree to purchase a "never going to be unlocked iphone" with a 18 month contract. O2 fulfilled their end of the agreement by selling you a "never going to be unlocked iphone".

You can spend a few billion dollars to rebuild New York's World Trade Center --- guess what --- the land doesn't belong to you. The land is owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. You lease the land for 99 years. After 99 years, you can move the twin towers if you like.

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I've said from the moment the iPhone 3G was announced that Apple should sell last years model SIM free from their own website, and that the exclusivity agreement should only count for the current gen handset.

Think of the extra users / cash Apple could claim now by selling the iPhone 3G SIM Free through their sales team, website, and retail store.

Easy money. Why wont they do it??

As for the networks unlocking them once you have finished your contract, it would be nice, but can't see it happening. Sorry.

4. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

LOL I have no idea what your analogy even means. FWIW I bought my phone when such details to say the least were sketchy. When I was in correspondence recently with 02 they said this topic was being thoroughly discussed. Seems to me even they know this policy is sort of lame and are trying to justify it.

If you are an executive for 02 I guess I can see the illogical ways of their business model. I will just go build my twin towers somewhere else.
    Is that okay?

My '99 year' lease is nearly over and after that you seem to agree I should be able to do what I want. So after my 18 months I want to move the towers. The land/phone does belong to me. Think of it is a contract for deed that is now paid off. I didn't lease my phone as far as I am aware of. It was subsidized however, after that debt is paid. When I plug my phone into iTunes it doesn't say 02's iPhone leased to Ryan. It in fact says my name. It also doesn't say Ryan's leased iPod.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It should be legally required.

Sadly Ofcom are broken as an organisation, so it isn't.

Phazer

6. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I thought companies were required to do it? As far as I know they are allowed to charge a small "administration fee" to do it, but I swear I heard that it's law…

:confused::apple:

7. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

In many countries it is. The USA and the UK however are two exceptions.

8. samab macrumors 6502a

Actually, the countries that require unlocking are the exceptions.

And guess what, none of those laws work at all. All we got are $1000 iphones.

9. samab macrumors 6502a

No, my example is actually dead on.

The iphone still belongs to you --- you can put it in a blender and see if it blends. You can resell it to another fellow O2 subscriber.

O2 isn't going to stop you from putting your iphone into a blender (and they are not going to yell it's the property of O2) --- it's your iphone and you can blend it anyway you want.