Should a Rev C owner jump for a new MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jns2001, Oct 23, 2010.

  1. jns2001 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2009
    #1
    I am here debating where I should get the new MBA or not, I work for a company that has a little discount for employees on Apple gear and last night I went to configure a 13" MBA with almost the same specs of my rev C, (2.13 Ghz, 128 GB), it came to a total of $1,843. Although it has double the RAM capacity and double the disk capacity. Then I saw someone posting on an aftermarket SSD with 240 GB for 549 at New Egg.

    So my real question is, given it is the same processor, I only need the RAM to run Windows for a few websites that insists in not working with Safari or Firefox (only IE) is it worth a difference of almost $ 1,300 dollars for an extra 2 MB of RAM? Perhaps I am missing a main feature here. Let me know your opinions.
     
  2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

    ct2k7

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2008
    Location:
    London or Florida
  3. pjo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    #3
    well, I'm not a fan of MBAs so take this with a grain of salt.

    1. i doubt you plan on owning both laptops so factor in what you could get if you sold your current one.
    2. the aftermarket SSD increases your hard disk space; not your RAM. That disk does not help your windows situation unless I'm missing something.
    3. you need to decide if the other benefits of the new MBA (increased battery life etc) are worth whatever the difference pans out to be.

    That should help you decide.

    [edit]
    One thing to note is the non standard SSD in the new MBAs means that's one less thing you can upgrade by purchasing from third parties.
     
  4. jns2001 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2009
    #4
    Fair points, I think that emotionally I would like to buy one, but now I need rationalize that thought before I pull the trigger. Normally I do that easily, but this new MBA is really difficult to do it. Going back to your talking points, here's my thoughts:

    Probably this rev C will end up with my wife, she has my old Rev A, but it is old, and it is acting up from time to time.

    The RAM is my biggest gripe with this sucker, I installed Parallels and Windows XP and still this dude would drag itself to carry the load.

    In regards to the other features, they are nice and dandy, but none of them are a show breaker in terms of you've gotta have type of feature.

    And I am pissed because a new version of the MBA is still at least 1 year from now, more likely 1 1/2 years, by then my MBA will be trash...

    But goddamn, 1,800 dollars for a C2D 2.1? :mad:
     
  5. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

    stockscalper

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2003
    Location:
    Area 51
    #5
    You need 4 gigs of ram to run Parallels and Windows so if that's important to you, then that is reason enough to get the new model.
     
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #6
    I would jump for the 4 gigs alone. I ran with a rev B for a while and memory was the biggest and really only issue I had. However, what would cause pause is the backlit keyboard. I realize this is stupid, but when you have it and then it's gone, you realize how much you use it.
     
  7. ghileman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #7
    Exactly.

    I'm a Rev B owner and I'm wondering the same thing as you are, and the C2D is my hold up. I suspect the next upgrade, which will probably come out sometime mid-2011 I'm guessing, is going to have a much better processor. I'm going to try and hold out until then.
     

Share This Page