Should a thunderbolt port be this loose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traverse, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I have a 2013 15" rMBP. I occasionally use an external monitor with Apple's DVI-D to thunderbolt port adapter. My model has two thunderbolt ports side by side next to the magsafe port.

Well, I really can't use the one right next to the magsafe because the slightest touch or scooting the computer makes my external monitor go completely snowy with no picture. It's not the dGPU because the other port works fine and the system still registers that there is an external monitor connected even when it goes snowy. The port does work, it's just too fragile to mess with.

What do you think? Are any of your ports like this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would say something is wrong. I have a 2014 13" rMBP attached to a Thunderbolt display and I just grabbed the TB cable where it goes into the port and wiggled it all over the place and the monitor did not flicker at all.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Oddly, now the second port is doing it! :eek:

My gosh I don't have luck with Apple's MacBooks.

Attached Files:

4. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Here is the really bad port.

Attached Files:

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Ugh, I already had my 2011 replaced due to the GPU and now this! Can they adjust the port without replacing the Logic board? I don't want to have to restore my system and new units ship with Yosemite.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really don't know, but peeking in there is does not look like there is anything there to adjust. :(

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

You took yours apart?! Thanks! I appreciate that. It's just, I'm tired of having issues. I just want a MacBook that works without issue. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar, but I won't let them ship it off. I'll just live with it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just took the cable out and looked in there with a flashlight to see if I could tell if there was any way to adjust the port at all.

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If both ports are doing it I would suspect the cable first. Do you have another cable or can you switch ends?

10. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I brought it to Apple amd they acknowledged that it was too loose. They said the only fix was to replace the logic board. I declined though, and had them mark it on my profile. The system has worked flawlessly and the ports do work, they're just finicky.

I had them document it in case the situation gets worse. They also speculated the graphics card, but I don't think that's it becuase I have no issues with anything unless you jiggle the cable.

11. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Hey Weaselboy,

I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow to have my logic board replaced. I really hate for them to mess with my system, but I don't want the problem to worsen.

So I just want to make sure there really is a problem. When your rMBP is plugged into to a display via the thunderbolt port, slight wiggling up/down or side-to-side doesn't cause excessive static on your external display or a complete loss in picture?

And by slight wiggling, I mean even a slight bump of a 100 pound desk can cause it.

Also, congratulations on Moderator status! You've been very helpful in these forums over the past years.

12. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Did you still have warranty through applecare?

13. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Yes, it's warranted for about 3 more years, but I'd rather fix it now than wait until it gets worse.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even more than that... I can wiggle the heck out of it up down and all around and absolutely nothing happens. I also just grabbed my MacBook and banged it with my hand pretty hard on the top and bottom right near the port and nothing happens.

15. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you. That's how my old 2011 MacBook Pro was.

*sigh*

I hate having them work on it. Aw well.

16. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I have a mid 2012 13" rMBP and the ports are also a bit loose. I'm not a fan of it either, but I kinda got used to it somehow... It's not a factory defect, it's simply not too good cable / port design.

17. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

They had one more logic board with 16GB of RAM and 750m in stock!

I get it back "by Sunday at the latest."

18. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I just got mine back and now its just as you described. I hooked it up to a display in-store and wiggled the connector in both ports in every direction and never got any static or picture loss.

Thanks for your feedback in this thread!

- Traverse

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You bet! Glad this worked out. :)

20. Simplicit, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

Simplicit macrumors newbie

Simplicit

I'm suffering exactly the same issue with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014: MacBookPro11,3) and finding it most inconveniencing. I usually use my MBP at my desk, connected to an Elgato Thunderbolt 2 hub. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar and I'm in contact with the Business services department. This problem is very aggravating, and I suffer sporadic interruption of the peripherals (RAID, HDD, Gigabit Ethernet).. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar for Friday, but I'm hoping the Business Services department will be sooner. This looks like a fairly well-known issue, but I'm gonna keep looking. What is the usual fix?

--
    Isaac, Legal Leprechaun and Technical Analyst
    Simplicit Solutions Ltd, Solutions Architecture

21. nonpensavo macrumors newbie

Might be Quite late, but try to reset NVRAM
    It helped me with continuously disconnection of Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. Still cant believe, I thought it is design fault