Should a wrist/palm guard be a 100% No?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakobAloudMadge, Jul 25, 2013.

1. JakobAloudMadge macrumors newbie

I'm so paranoid about getting my new rMBP 13" dirty! I got a keyboard cover just today, and it'll take some getting used to, but I love it. I'm VERY paranoid about getting the the area around the trackpad dirty/discolored/scratched, that I was thinking about getting a wrist/palm rest, but apparently, Apple said it could damage the screen. I don't get this, because isn't the rubberish lining of the screen the thing that makes contact with the lower half of the keyboard? Moshi said they've tested their palm guard, and everything's good (I'm wondering if Apple made this warning because of one or two generic guard brands?)

Anyway, I want to keep my keyboard cover on at all times, and I want a guard, but will either damage the screen? What's your experience with them, especially long-term? Thank you!

2. Pheo macrumors regular

Seen a thread here where the keyboard cover damaged the screen.

Personally, from past experience, you're probably best off without it, and wash your hands before you use it!

3. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

so u should always wash ur hands before using a mac.

LOL your crazy

4. Pheo macrumors regular

Well either that or get it dirty, but the OP mentioned they didn't want to do that

But I'd rather either of those options than scratching the lovely retina screen!

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It's a work tool, not a baby. You don't need all that crap.

6. cbs20 macrumors member

I'm with Steve, take the keyboard cover off, it holds in heat and I have read about ppl damaging the display because of a keyboard cover. As long as you don't mistreat it you will be fine. Don't drop it, don't spill anything on it, and clean it at least once a month.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

two of my friends gorgeous screens are messed up due to the keyboard cover.
    Though it keeps the laptop clean i feel its always best for the owner to take an effort to keep it clean by cleaning it once in a month or more frequently if used while travelling, avoid eating or having any beverages near the laptop.
    Maintain these things for any laptop as they all cost something out of your/someone's hard earned money.
    Ive never used a protector or anything my laptop looks as good as new minus the new smell. Might have a fingerprint here and there sometimes.

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

The keyboard on the Retinas is really really close to the screen when the lid is closed so putting the tiniest thing between them may damage the screen. I'd just leave it as is.

9. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Why not keep/get a moshi coverguard? Its very thin and after get a Radtech Screensavr or similar piece of microfiber cloth in between? I would leave the palmguard off because it is thicker and really unnecessarily if you don't wear watches and such.

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I have a moshi palmguard and mouse guard. Love it. Highly recommend it.

11. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Call it OCD, but this is my setup and it works perfectly. I also use a RadTech Sleeve. The keyboard cover is hardly noticeable and the keys don't turn glossy over time. No matter how clean your hands are, this will happen over time with normal use. Heat is not an issue either. If I'm doing anything processor intensive I can always take off the keyboard cover. The only issue I see is the looks you get from others when you pull out your MacBook in public. Even I have to admit, I look crazy. I don't really care though. Do what makes you happy.

12. Mdwall macrumors member

I do that with almost every device I have

13. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Sorry to take over the thread or guide it in a different direction...

Would keyboard covers ruin cMBP screens as well? I just got my niece one of those to help protect against accidental spills.

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I wouldn't use a keyboard cover but I did have a Zagg shield which covered the palm rest. I removed it purely because it didn't look vey nice. My rMBO has been naked for a while now and it still looks new.

15. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

I'm just using it,
    if you think about dirty, please use keysaver.

and if you want a perfect macbook, without dirty, dust, scrath, dent... please keep your macbook on box!! LOL

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

FIXED.

OP: If the cover doesn't harm the screen then it really depends on what type of person you are. My wife is messy and does not take care her things therefore she would need a keyboard cover. I take good care to all my stuff and I would use hand cleaning alcohol to clean my Mac every month therefore I do not need a cover.

17. leimin macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who doesn't use the palm rest? :confused: I don't recommend getting a palmguard. You can always use a magic eraser if you think your palmrest is getting dirty