Should and Could I upgrade to Lion from SL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by machomer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. machomer macrumors regular

I have a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM macbook pro. Can this setup run Lion? and the new Mountain Lion coming this year?

If I can run Mountain Lion, do I need Lion installed in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion or can I go from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, the C2D is capable of running both Lion and Mountain Lion. I'm on Lion and have no problems.

3. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I am still on SL, thinking about Lion and then ML. I would bet that no one knows if you will be able to go straight from SL to ML at this time. If we find out it will work, I will hold off till ML comes out.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Your MBP will love Lion very much...Trust me...Mountain Lion will make your MBP feel young again

5. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

Lion to me feels like it belongs more on a MacBook more so then an iMac with all the multitasking gestures,I bought a trackpad just cause of it and I love lion and can't wait for mountain lion

6. Karstenp macrumors newbie

I've heard several of my friends complain that their macs have gotten slower since installing Lion. Have anyone experienced that?

I'm considering upgrading - but only because I have to. Mobile me ends in June, which means that I cant use my email (that I use for my business) unless I go to iCloud. And in order for me to go to iCloud I also have to go to Lion. I feel like Apple really has me by the balls on this one (excuse my language).

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I have a mac mini core 2 duo 1.8 running Lion Server with 2gb ram.

It can be done.

4gb ram is a lot better, GF's laptop is a Core 2 Duo 1.6 (MBA in my sig) running Lion, again with no issues.

Had a couple of weird things happen when doing an upgrade from SL, but a clean install has been fine.

Your machine should run it fine. If you had 2gb ram though, I would have recommended staying on snow leopard. Safari in particular hogs a fair bit more memory on Lion (or used to, on 10.7.0 anyway).

I haven't noticed any real speed decrease, so long as you have enough ram (4gb) you should be fine. IMHO, the extra features are worth the RAM usage.