Should Apple Allow Tethering....

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ParishYoung, May 3, 2010.

1. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Apple is the one who don't have a native support for it. That's Apples job to fix.

4. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have to pay more on your monthly bill to use tethering on your iPhone on At&T??

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No, the choice is Apple's. The iPad does not support tethering at all. Regardless of provider. The iPad is unlocked, so it works just fine on any GSM provider with no hacking on the iPad (See iPad on T-Mobile.)

But... The iPad does not support tethering, even on T-Mobile. It's possible that they'll open that up later, but right now, the iPad cannot share its 3G connection at all. (Well, short of jailbreaking, of course.)

Yes, AT&T needs to get off their @$$ and allow tethering, but the iPad supporting it or not is purely in Apple's court at this point.

Right now, no, because AT&T doesn't allow tethering on the iPhone. They have never said how much extra they will charge when they DO allow iPhone tethering.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Why would Apple provide a tethering feature that AT&T won't support? I think the embarrassment that was iPhone tethering in the US was enough... :rolleyes:

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

AT&T still does not allow the iPhone to tether on their network, even though tethering has been available on the iPhone for almost a year.

However, one day when AT&T finally allows tethering with the iPhone they will indeed charge extra to use this feature.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple does allow tethering. It's ATT that doesn't. Why? Who knows -- maybe out of fear it will crash the network, maybe out of fear Wireless users will not renew their contract. Send complaints to ATT.

Because Apple sells the iPhone worldwide. It's a feature of the phone. It's up to the carriers to enable it.

9. Capt T macrumors 6502a

My answer was based on the question which ended 'restrict it to iPhone only'.

So yes with the iPad Apple would need to enable it. With the iPhone AT&T would need to choose to support it.

10. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I should clarify my suggestion.

What I meant was for Wifi Only iPads to be able to tether to the internet via the iPhone (but not any other make / model)

I'm sure both Apple & At&T would prefer this to people picking up Sprint MyFi thingies and using them.

Was just a thought.

11. EchoTheDolphin macrumors newbie

Yes you will have to pay more, this is especially because someone with a tethered phone to a laptop generally uses a whole lot more bandwidth than a normal smartphone user. (Especially considering the AVERAGE Iphone user uses MUCH MORE bandwidth than the average smartphone user)

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Tethering is a feature of the iPhone. Just like MMS. AT&T is the one who took so long to allow MMS and it's the same with tethering.

Don't blame Apple. AT&T wasn't prepared for the amount of traffic on their towers and they are dumbing down some features (such as how much you can download over 3G) to avoid network failure.

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Because they will be selling the iPad in other countries, and carriers in most countries allow tethering on the normal data plans without any extra charges.

Well the iPad lacks any way to tether an iPhone to the iPad without using software on the phone that creates wifi networks. This is not true tethering. What is lacking is a way to tether via say bluetooth or such, and that needs to be done by Apple.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) What would be the point? Surely ATT is going to charge $30 for the privilege and then you are sucking up all your phone's battery life. I'd rather just use a 3G iPad.

2) MiFi isn't really an alternative most will use. You either have to get a contract and pay $50/mo or buy your own MiFi and go non-contract and pay $60. I can't see anyone getting MiFi just for the iPad.

15. gtsipad macrumors member

Is there a semantic issue here maybe?

Would most of you consider turning your smartphone into a wifi hotspot to be tethering? If so, then the iPad has no problem with it.

I think tethering should go the way of the dinosaur and mobile-phone based wifi hotspots is the way to go.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Which, ironically, is a reason to not worry about it for iPhone users. They already use a lot more traffic than the average user; so the 'bump' to tethered would be smaller.

The extra data usage on the phone isn't necessarily because iPhone users are inherently more data-using than non-iPhone users, it's because the iPhone itself makes it easier to use more data. So when tethered, you can't just assume that because one owns an iPhone, they will use more data tethered than someone who owns another phone would use tethered.

I actually use LESS data tethered on my iPhone than I did tethered on previous phones, simply because I can do more of what I want directly on the iPhone, whereas before, I had to tether to do many tasks.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Okay, that is completely different from what I thought you were asking about.

That would be nice, but The Jobs has deemed it not to happen. He would rather sell you a 3G iPad.

18. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Which is why I have my sights on the HTC EVO!