Should Apple be embarrased

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cowman007, May 13, 2007.

1. cowman007 macrumors regular

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

What they did saved apple from going under. If it wasn't for Microsoft doing what they did apple may not exist today. I don't think its something to be embarrassed about yeah apple had some hard times but they have turned that around now.

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

4. cowman007 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe but steve jobbs himself said that we should give MS some "respect" and now in 2007 he goes and releases the Get a mac ads. Whats the sense to this?

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

It's called business sense. They are still competitors, you know. Besides, do you not think if the tables were one day turned, and MS was at the end of its rope, that Steve Jobs would offer some sort of aid?

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah 10 years have passed by....

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The history of the relationships between MS, Apple and IBM, goes back nearly 30 years. You have taken one small snapshot in time and want to draw conclusions from it. Even as we speak, MS is engaged in an active disinformation and propaganda war against Apple. They have been caught red-handed paying bloggers to post anti-Apple information on the Internet. They do it on this site. So, if you are suggesting people feel sorry for MS, because of the Mac Ads, I think you are lacking the true version of the events.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its business, shameless is the basic lesson for business. it would be better if ppl treat apple as a normal business company rather than a model for perfect human being.

compare to apple's "get a mac ad", M$'s "action" is nothing, killing a guy can't be discussed at the same level as beating up that guy. Just do a calculation yourself, whose disinformation reaches more audience? and whose disinformation was not properly checked?

PS, history is history, its good to learn from it, but that does not give excuse for doing the wrong thing.

10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Welcome to 10 years ago. If you read into the context of this presentation you'd know that this really nothing more than a stunt by Steve Jobs to bolster confidence in the platform. If you're researching the past, you should research everything leading up to it so that you know how it fits into today, its time, and the previous events leading up to it.

I nearly skimmed over this comment. A curious accusation to say the least.

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Apple, no. Steve Jobs, yes. Where is the jeans and black polo neck?? Tis a travesty

12. cowman007 thread starter macrumors regular

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't really know the entire story but what really caused Apple to go down the crapper was when the Clones were around. They tried licensing their Mac OS to the point where Apple was near bankrupt. Steve comes around and kills the Clones. We then go over to Microsoft and make a deal with them just so they could stay alive.

Microsoft was thriving and Apple was on its way out 10 years ago.

14. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

They had to do it to stay alive, and out of it came a great things Microsoft Office for the mac, Java and Apple not going under. But some bad things like Internet Explorer as default and Steve not having his patented jeans and black polo neck on at the time!

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Are you questioning its accuracy?

16. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Is there any proof?

I think it is funny when people say "MS paid you to say that".

17. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It was a patent settlement. This presentation was used as a ploy to show that this patent dispute was behind them, and the glossiness was used to show that Microsoft was still "committed" to the platform. There are a number of accounts on this already, but this is one of the more recent threads that may give you a brief perspective to the whole deal:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3416705

Apple wasn't exactly 'dead in the water' in 1997, though it certainly wasn't doing as well as it is today, and this deal by is by no means what exclusively 'saved Apple'.

I was more questioning its intention and only somewhat questioning the accuracy of the second part. It was a cryptic statement which implicated people here of being bought and sold by Microsoft. I found it a curious thing to say without providing further evidence.

I know of the "deals" that Microsoft pulled with bloggers to give them laptops, etc. I'm not aware of anyone on this particular website who is "paid, bought and used by Microsoft." But then again I suppose I don't pay as close attention. I knew of people here who supposedly worked at Microsoft whether in MacBU or otherwise, but...

18. Mistershark macrumors regular

iCon

You should really read iCon: the Greatest Second Act in the History of Busiiness. It's a great book, and helps you understand why Steve did some of those things back in the 90's.

Over the past ten years, Apple has turned into a force to be reckoned with once again, and the future looks bright (if another John Sculley doesn't come along) in spite of (or even because of) a partnership with Microsoft.

19. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

If Apple and MS did not have a deal, there probably would not be MS Office for Mac. Consequently, Mac sales would have been much lower because people would not want a computer that could not run MS Office.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Eh?
    Office for Mac predated this agreement -- in fact, Excel was developed and released first on Mac and only later ported to Windows.

If you are saying that MS would have dropped Office Mac at some point, without this agreeement, then, yeah that argument can be made (examples of FoxPro Mac, Internet Explorer etc)

I think MS were very savvy and settled the potentially Windows-killing patent lawsuits when Apple was down and would settle cheaply.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I think that the Mac and Windows users both exaggerate the whole Apple vs Microsoft rivalry. Steve and Bill are good friends and Apple and Microsoft are partners on a lot of things.

People on here are saying that Apple hates Microsoft because of the Get A Mac ads bashing Vista and stuff. That's just marketing, and it's good marketing. Apple is obviously trying to gain more customers by saying that OS X is better than Windows and everything. This is business: both companies want to make money. They don't hate each other. That is all started by the fanboys of each company.

Do any of you actually think that there would be Office:Mac, Boot camp, and iTunes+iPod on Windows if Apple and Microsoft were "enemies"? No. These are business partnerships that benefit both companies. The 1997 Apple-Microsoft deal also benefited both companies. Apple got financial support and Office:Mac, and Microsoft gained revenue from the Apple stock they purchased and revenue for Office:Mac.

22. cowman007 thread starter macrumors regular

Well said. That may be the best speech ever written. :)

23. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Along with this and "keep your enemies closer," I think Microsoft helping Apple was a good business decision on their end, because competition leads to innovation and improvement.