Should Apple bundle it's hardware and services into a monthly subscription plan?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Rogifan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Philip Elmer Dewitt ponders the question on his site.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/01/apple-monthification-recurring-payments/?xid=yahoo_fortune

I would sign up for something like that in a heartbeat. Especially if they offered one AppleCare package for everything. I'd pay Apple between $95-$100/mo. And if Wall Street is looking for more revenue predictability this would be one way of starting to achieve that. It wouldn't work for everyone of course but I'm hoping the iPhone upgrade program means it's something Apple is at leas thinking about.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that's the direction Apple is trying to go, though I don't think we'll seem a combine monthly fee for all of their services.

3. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

5. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I hate monthly fees. Paying $100 per month for something like this is crazy, because, as the article says, "Consumers will be reminded of the cost of their devices month after month" rather than buying those devices and only thinking about it once.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

6. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

$50 a month for iCloud storage iPhone Upgrade Program and TV Streaming Apple Music with a option to pay it yearly most def

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

NO! Absolutely not!

If I buy it, 'smine!

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. Exactly! If I pay, I own.

9. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

No, but bundling various cloud services, yes, as long as you save money on that...

10. Tech198 macrumors G4

I think the reverse is true... Apple wants to keep their stuff unbundled

if they offered for 'all u can get' subscription that includes Apple music, iTunes Match, icloud storage etc all for $100 a month, i would say 'no' users want choice, and subscriptions are anything but choice...

Maybe if they offered a subscription in addition, but then who would use it ? unless it was discounted, i can't see Apple doing that.

There is such a thing as paying *too much* for something. Others just portray it as "value" to get out of the loop.