Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
that'd be dumb =/

Apple should just make a new site thats like youtube just better. it could allow you to download videos to iTunes or something.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
No, Apple should not buy YouTube, because YouTube is purely a media/software concern and owning it will not in any way drive Apple's hardware sales. YouTube is quite obviously a more natural extension of a television network (like NBC Universal).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Considering the way YouTube is bleeding cash, Apple shouldn't take it if it were free. Their business model isn't working, as the ads can't support the bandwidth necessary to host the videos. And if you change the business model (by doing something like charging to host or view videos), you'll drive away what makes YouTube popular.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Apple buying YouTube would so suck. They would turn it into the next iTunes. Everytyhing on the site would be copywrited, there would be no more videos of like tv shows and such and it would just be plain stupid. So, leave Apple to iTunes, and YouTube to Us.

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
This is a stupid thread with a stupid suggestion. No Apple will/wont/shouldnt buy YouTube.... YouTube has NO profit at the moment and it is the stupidest concept on the web at the moment. I feel a bubble that is going to burst!

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
cbetta said:
This is a stupid thread with a stupid suggestion. No Apple will/wont/shouldnt buy YouTube.... YouTube has NO profit at the moment and it is the stupidest concept on the web at the moment. I feel a bubble that is going to burst!
In other words, NO!

Attachments

• 849.gif
    849.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 124

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I don't think Apple should buy Youtube.

YouTube suffers from one of Google's problems. They deliver a good product that the masses enjoy, but they have problems when it comes to extracting profit from the market they've captivated. (And yes, Google does have that problem. I'm not talking about their search engine, but about their other smaller pursuits.)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Switch YouTube to H.264 and integrate it with Leopard for one-click video hosting. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cbetta said:

Wow, we really need to make membership at MacRumours a little less easy to get...

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
Abstract said:
Wow, we really need to make membership at MacRumours a little less easy to get...

;) Sorry, I just watched too much Lewis Black, leading to my new way of expressing myself

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
YouTube has a poor, ugly-looking interface. If Apple were to buy it, they would need a complete revamping of the appearance. Also, the fact that the quality of most of the videos is crap makes me believe that Apple would never put their name on something like that.

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.