Should Apple Consider Swype Technology on the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MikesMethod, Sep 27, 2008.

1. MikesMethod macrumors newbie

If you do not know what swype is, it is a keyboard technology where you basicall trace a rough path of the letters in the word you would like to type.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-50003669.html

There is a link showing a demonstration. I think this would be great on apples Ipod Touch and:apple: Iphone. What do you think?

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think it's been on Treos/Palm PDAs for a decade or so, and Apple would have to license it to use it. I'm not positive, but I think the Newton had it. With a sensitive screen allowing a reasonably accurate touch keyboard I think gesture typing would lose the race every time.

3. sparky99 macrumors newbie

Appstore has something called Writing pad which does this, and very well too, in my opinion.

Currently, one can make a note and e-mail it. It would be nice if all apps could have this option for text entry.
    :D

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Sounds a lot like graffiti on Palm OS. I hated that. I can't imagine how hard it would be to do that with a finger on such a small space. It was hard enough with a stylus.

5. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

To the OP, I agree, Apple should definitely consider adding this kind of technology as an option. I've used it in the app WritingPad, which sparky99 mentioned, and it's pretty neat, but I don't want to use it all the time.

akonradi, this is nothing like Graffiti. You drag your finger or a stylus across an image of a full keyboard, tracing a path between the letters of your word, and it figures out which word you meant. With Graffiti you draw a rough version of each individual letter. Check out the video (linked) or WritingPad, which is free on the iTunes app store.

6. Stan20 macrumors newbie