Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's not a big deal, I get it. I understand you hear the charging sound when plugging it in and can also check the battery indicator on the screen to see if it's charging.

But I miss the red/green light on the MagSafe. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
It's not a big deal, I get it. I understand you hear the charging sound when plugging it in and can also check the battery indicator on the screen to see if it's charging.

But I miss the red/green light on the MagSafe. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

It would have likely made the cable thicker which would have prevented the use of the neighbour USB-C port.

Also they probably figured out that it's a nice to have, but truly unnecessary. Think about it. Knowing whether or not it's fully charged generally never impacts your decision to unplug it: when you need to unplug it to go somewhere, you'll unplug it whether it's fully charged or not.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It would have likely made the cable thicker which would have prevented the use of the neighbour USB-C port.

Also they probably figured out that it's a nice to have, but truly unnecessary. Think about it. Knowing whether or not it's fully charged generally never impacts your decision to unplug it: when you need to unplug it to go somewhere, you'll unplug it whether it's fully charged or not.

Yeah I gotcha. It's not necessary, I mean it's not something I think about often. But I was just comparing to magsafe, which is where I'm coming from.

I used to be able to see when my mac was completely charged or still had some charge to go even with the lid closed, and that was kind of nice.

I also think it just looks cool. That orange or green light looks fancy lol.

But it's fine. i'm happy with the current setup. I feel like USB-C charges pretty fast too.

I'm on that 2019 15" :)

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I quite like the flexibility of being able to use third party cables and also being able to charge from any port. It does reduce a little bit of the risk of someone tripping over the cord when charging because you can charge from either side.

An indicator would be nice though, could a third party do something like that?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its the little things that make apple different then other makers, and yet with that said, over the past few years apple has removed those little things. Its been a source of disappointment, but its not a huge problem

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Its the little things that make apple different then other makers, and yet with that said, over the past few years apple has removed those little things. Its been a source of disappointment, but its not a huge problem

Tell me about it!!!! Ok, so I don't want to sound ridiculous, but where is the black cleaning cloth that used to come with MacBook Pros?

Those were literally the nicest cleaning clothes I've ever seen.

I need to wipe dust off my computer screen, and I've got some cheap microfiber ones but I mean...come on Apple...
[doublepost=1560202018][/doublepost]
Would be nice, visual feedback is always useful. A pinhole in the side of the MBP body could probably do it...

That would be nice. Or if they go could go back to the front LED indicator for sleep except make it for battery or something.

I just feel like a little more feedback would be helpful/useful.

Again it's not a deal breaker at all. In fact, it's a first world "problem"

But to have it and now not have it is a little annoying.

Reactions: twanj and maflynn

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Tell me about it!!!! Ok, so I don't want to sound ridiculous, but where is the black cleaning cloth that used to come with MacBook Pros?

Those were literally the nicest cleaning clothes I've ever seen.

I need to wipe dust off my computer screen, and I've got some cheap microfiber ones but I mean...come on Apple...

What black cloth? I don't remember seeing one in my 2015 15" MBP. A little piece of paper was all that was on the screen.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Would be nice. I have connected mine many times and it wasn't charging, I didn't realized it until I unhooked it and left the house with 10% battery...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'd forgotten all about the screen cloths you used to get with Macs and even the little while charging status light on the front. Surely there's still room for the status light on the case somewhere?

Reactions: twanj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.