Should Apple have increased the mega pixels on the camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 13, 2014.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Let's discuss.

Should it have been a 10mp, 12mp, 16mp? or is the lens in a phone too small?

Do you think the S model will increase next year? The rumours all pointed to more mega pixels so my thinking is it will come next year as the design won't change. Iphone 4 was 5mp Iphone 4s was 8mp perhaps that's the 2015 upgrade?

2. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

No, absolutely not. More megapixels makes pictures look worse at this sensor size, and more resolution does nothing to improve them.

I took 20mp images, downscaled them to 8mp then upscaled them back up to 20mp. For situations where you aren't cropping, is the difference so drastic that people would rather give up image quality for more mp?

I won't say which is which (though you can easily tell but it's not as big of a difference as you'd think) -

http://i.imgur.com/Dzq9gWt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4flWgCC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lcTmQ23.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ARUrBQj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aWjWoeN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0KUpicA.jpg

So my question is, why do YOU want more mp?

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

They should have gone to a 4/3rds mirrorless system with multi-mount detachable lens.

And no, I don't think a megapixel increase would help anything but a sale pitch.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, and they should have added a mount for SLR lenses.

Or I could just buy a real camera...

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

LOL

This

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Unless phones have big sensors like the ones in DSLRs or mirror-less cameras, more megapixel just means nothing. More megapixel with small sensor can actually produce worse image (more noise). Plus, how often do you print pictures taken with your phone? For monitor viewing, even a 2MP picture will work.

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Apple should train people on the importance of specs other than pixel count. They've started to mention pixel size and are sort of mentioning lens size (ever try to explain what 2.2 means?), but it's not enough.

8. dakota747 macrumors member

dakota747

Perfect!

Thank you for that! I needed to explain it to someone and you had it worded perfectly :)

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Don't care about megapixels. Care more about camera quality the whatever the tech is that allows a shaky hand to take a good pic.

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

The answer is no. On a sensor chip this small adding more pixels actually begins to degrade the image. Unless and until that technical limitation is eliminated or Apple finds a way to put a bigger sensor in it 8 is the sweet spot. If you need higher resolution get a dedicated camera. I recommend the 16mpx Fuji X-E2.

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I think more definitely would have been nice considering the price of the phone. Maybe 12 and then add an even better sensor and give the 6 OIS.

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

So, you want noisier pictures so that the box can say 12 megapixels?

Makes no sense.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, because 12 megapixel pics are awesome for Facebook... :confused:

14. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Want to play the specs game? Buy an Android.

Apple has tried to educate people about the camera sensor in keynotes, but it's hard to educate the masses and make it stick. More megapixels has to be better, right?

15. Mac Wolf macrumors member

This thread, and Tim Cook's interview with Charlie Rose got me thinking. Apple said there are a ton of products they're working on. Some will see the light of day, some won't. Last year I thought the idea of an "iwatch" was laughable, but it got a favorable response at the keynote, and here we are, the Apple Watch is a real thing. Tim mentioned looking at the TV industry, one of Apple's worst kept secrets. We all know they're gonna try to revolutionize television.

But it got me thinking, would Apple ever dip their toes in the digital camera game? As a photographer I get excited just picturing it. A low cost entry level point and shoot, and a high level DSLR. With some sort of IOS of course. And that great thin, durable, aluminum/glass design.

We've seen how sharp they can make cell phone cameras. I could only imagine what they'd do with an actual camera. A boy can dream.

16. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

A better sensor with 12 megapixels wouldn't be noisy. 12 isn't even a huge amount. If I wanted to blow up or crop a picture more megapixels will really help.

----------

You are so pissy. People that think megapixels are everything are mistaken but people like you who believe everything apple says and thinks megapixels are apparently worthless are also mistaken. Take your delusion and attitude and shove it buddy.

More megapixels would result in you being able to blow up in a image or crop it and retain more detail yes. I also mentioned a better sensor.

17. munkydust macrumors member

Yes, they should have increased on the front camera.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Another vote for noisier pictures for the sake of marketing.

19. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

That's a good point. I forgot about the front camera being terrible. They really should have improved it.

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I've had a few of my iPhone pictures used in print publications...

21. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Wow you are so unbelievably conceited. You are so sure you're right on this yet you couldn't be more wrong.

Do you have any idea how terrible the front camera is? Do you think alot of that isn't to do with the extremely low megapixel count, at 1.2 megapixels? The sensor plays a roll, but megapixels are important also.

22. RyanG macrumors 6502

lol

23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Oh, right. He said the front cam. My mistake. Comment retracted. Yes, higher resolution on the front facing camera would have been good.

24. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

They shouldn't waste their time with this. There is a massive uphill task of competing with Canon, Nikon, Leica etc and not because of the camera but the glass. Also, I don't think the DSLR market would be all that attractive to Apple as they seem to be obsessed with thinness and weight. These are not things that DSLR photographers typically focus on as they don't wish to compromise on image quality over anything. That's my belief anyway.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's great. Congrats. However, I think you'll agree that is NOT the purpose of a telephone camera...