should apple make a ".com" button for their macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howya111, Mar 1, 2011.

1. howya111, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

howya111 macrumors newbie

ever since I saw the ".com" button on apple ios digital keyboards I started to wonder why apple doesn't include it on their mac line also. I mean they have other keys that are different the pc so why not make a .com key also?

and as an aside why on their ios keyboards is the .com key only there when you're typing in the browser window, if it's useful even when entering app info, ect.?:confused:

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.
    Ronald Reagan

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No thanks. I visit at least as many .co.uk sites as .com ones.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When touchscreen keyboards replace push-button keyboards they'll probably have that feature. Give it 2-3 years.

4. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

Yes, a .co.uk button would be better, in fact the .com button on the iPad is really frustrating. What a waste of a button.

5. wct097 macrumors 6502

Nobody that knows how to type would want an extra key on the keyboard for ".com". Can't really type on a touchscreen, so I suppose it's a viable addition.

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Touch screen keyboards will never take over. We cant feel each button therefore we cant blindly type. We will always have a physical keyboard.

7. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Try holding down the '.com' button and it will allow you to choose other options like '.net' '.org' and even '.co.uk'

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's like the iPhone you can touch and hold it to get other options including .co.uk

Edit: doh! too slow

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just like phones will always have physical buttons. I remember that one too. Oops.

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It would be nice to have the option to change it to your preferred location.

11. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

YOU STARE AT YOUR PHONE. It is one screen. The laptops are two parts. The screen and the keyboard. You will not see touchscreen keyboards on a laptop go popular.

12. toondw macrumors 6502

No thanks, most of the sites i visit are .co.uk so that would be no use to me really. I think their is a .com on my iphone and i pad keyboard sometimes? Or is it android i'm thinking of?

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Haha. Just like tablets will never be popular. Or ebook readers. Or Voice Over IP.

You don't have to like technology's inevitable progress... that doesn't mean you have to deny it.

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

15. Nun macrumors member

Pushing ctrl+enter on a windows machine automatically appends .com to the address you've typed in.

I imagine theres a similar shortcut on OSX.

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

You can't type as fast on a phone as you can on a keyboard, that's the reason for the .com key on the iphone. Adding the .com key would be a waste of space because it adds little convenience.

17. iMacprobook macrumors member

I think what would be good, and save loads of time typing out the same few things that we all do, is to have a row of user defined buttons, you fill in what you want it to type in a preferences pane and save that, then various buttons fill in the rest. ie, an email address, name, etc. filling in forms online would be much less of a chore.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

True, and clearly just a ".com" button wouldn't be the premise for eliminating the physical keyboard. The advantages of soft keyboards are too numerous to be ignored much longer, though, and it's inevitable they'll take over in the near future. We already discussed soft keyboards here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=915093&highlight=

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well you can defined shortcuts (System Preferences->Language & Text->Text). So for example I could define rd to auto-expand to robbieduncan.

Note if you do this you need to turn on text substitutes for where you are typing...

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I think we're more likely to see the following than a touchscreen keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Maximus_keyboard

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

It offers many of the same benefits of a touchscreen while retaining the ability for touch typing and being able to rest you're fingers on the keyboard.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

22. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yeah, I think keyboards will eventually be replaced.
    After having an iPhone since launch day in 2007, I can honestly say I can type without looking at the keyboard.
    Although spelling correction does lend a hand...:cool:
    But back to the subject of a .com button, that would be nice, but I don't see a way to implement a button fo .co.uk and .de, which are sites I also visit. On the ipad it works because you can hold it, but I don't know how that would work on a Mac. It seems like it would require effort.
    Although, in terms of buttons, I would love to have one that could be assigned to go to certain sites.

23. HacKage macrumors regular

No thanks. For all the time it takes to type in .com I think I will cope just fine. Most people are pretty good at typing nowadays, so it isn't a problem for them. Those that aren't, well they will never improve if the don't need to learn where the .com keys are.

24. billgates99 macrumors regular

I would love to see a .biz or .tv button

Maybe even a .org toward the end of the year when I'm trying to catch up on tax deductible donations.