Should Apple move to Tegra K1 instead of PowerVR Serie 6

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
The latest benchs show a Tegra K1 2.5x faster than the last iPad Air :eek: and the newest PowerVR SOC announced seems to be only a simple evolution from the previous gen.
Nvidia Tegra K1 Benchmarked – 3.75 Times faster than the Tegra 4 and Leads the Tablet Charts, Holds its own against Notebooks.

We finally get some insight on where exactly Tegra K1 stands on the performance charts. Fluff words aside, the results seem very promising with Tegra K1 Leading in the Tablets Charts and even Holding its own in the Notebook sector! Infact it seems to be faster than just about every low power iGPU and even some dGPUs. The first dGPU (only mobile dGPUs tested of course) to beat the Tegra K1 was used for reference purposes.

As you can see the only device included in the bench to beat the Tegra K1 chip was Nvidia’s own GT 740M; and seeing this is a full fledged dGPU with 45W TDP it doesn’t mean much. However for the target niche the Tegra K1 was actually created; it leads with a major gap. Scoring a rock solid 60fps in an off screen 1080p Benchmark it fares significantly better than the Tegra 4. The predecessor to this chip can only manage a measly 16fps so you can see for yourself how great a difference this is.
Infact the only devices that come close to the Tegra K1 are notebooks equipped with an Intel HD iGPU. The closest tablet tested is the iPad Air which manages a barely acceptable 27 fps (still not gaming standard) on the demanding 1080p res. From these initial tests it seems that the Tegra K1 will actually be able to deliver on a intensive gaming experience in a hand held device, not to mention in cars.
http://wccftech.com/tegra-k1-superchip-benchmarks-revealed-4-times-faster-tegra-4/

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't know if they show move but that Tegra is impressive to say the least.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Indeed the battery life is a determining factor, waiting for the other benchmarks :D

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple'a not really in a position to make that move. They're going to continue building their own bespoke processors, and they've probably signed a deal with Imagination. Maybe they'll begin their own GPU line too.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
the only thing that nVidia was always better than making graphic chips was marketing them. lokk back at what they promised with tegra 3 and 4.
But yeah, those values DO look awesome (not the comparison to tegra 4 and the A7, but the HD4400).

and one more thing: think of the A7 PowerVR chip as a smartphone chip, the k1 you will probably only see in tablets

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
NVIDIA has a history of publishing faked/fixed benchmarks to sell itself.
Take things with a grain of salt.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013

Tegra is the worse chip manufacture, they screamed "next gen" for the tegra 2 and tegra 3 and in actual use they were horrible. The tegra 2 can barely play 720p YouTube videos and within 6 months all support was dropped in favour of the tegra 3 which was disappointing in terms of power and battery life. Many apps in the play store, in their description, do not support tegra products either because of nvidia's bullcrap. PowerVR is a much better company and at least their GPU make huge gains year after year. Also Apple has a 10% stake in them vs nothing in Nvidia. Also I still haven't heard a phone running tegra 4 SOC except maybe one Chinese manufacture but I'm not sure if they are going through.

Liskrig

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Mass
I like the specs of the K1, but look what happened with the Tegra 4... As far as I know, it was only available in 1 device (nVidia Shield) and now they have moved on, pushing consumers to the K1. Correct me if I'm wrong, please :p

I'd like to eventually see what happened with the Mac to happen to iOS devices (G# to Intel). After the surprise of the 64-bit chip, I feel that Apple has a lot more to showcase before a jump is made to another brand.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I like the specs of the K1, but look what happened with the Tegra 4... As far as I know, it was only available in 1 device (nVidia Shield) and now they have moved on, pushing consumers to the K1. Correct me if I'm wrong, please :p

I'd like to eventually see what happened with the Mac to happen to iOS devices (G# to Intel). After the surprise of the 64-bit chip, I feel that Apple has a lot more to showcase before a jump is made to another brand.
Tegra 4 is also found in Microsoft's Surface and a (few?) Window's phones, part of an exclusive M$ partnership for mobile devices.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013

Tegra 4 is also found in Microsoft's Surface and a (few?) Window's phones, part of an exclusive M$ partnership for mobile devices.

What windows phone uses Tegra 4? I believe they all currently use Snapdragon SOCs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I never had a problem with the Tegra series in itself. For work I'm still using a Xoom with a Tegra 2 and it's fine for my uses.

The thing that irked me was the Tegra Store. With android it was just further fragmentation.

While it could run most everything there wasn't a lot optimized for them. I think the specs are very impressive now with the K1 but I don't see Apple going that route with the software they already have in place.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Specs aren't everything. As others have said, if the battery life sucks then Apple should stick with what they are doing.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Specs aren't everything. As others have said, if the battery life sucks then Apple should stick with what they are doing.

Supposedly performance per watt it's ahead. Meaning it might use 1.5x more power but it's 2.5x as fast. So in the end it's time to idle is shorter thus using less power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.