Should Apple move to Tegra K1 instead of PowerVR Serie 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gto55, Jan 13, 2014.

1. gto55, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

The latest benchs show a Tegra K1 2.5x faster than the last iPad Air :eek: and the newest PowerVR SOC announced seems to be only a simple evolution from the previous gen.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I don't know if they show move but that Tegra is impressive to say the least.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

4. gto55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gto55

Indeed the battery life is a determining factor, waiting for the other benchmarks :D

5. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Apple'a not really in a position to make that move. They're going to continue building their own bespoke processors, and they've probably signed a deal with Imagination. Maybe they'll begin their own GPU line too.

6. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

the only thing that nVidia was always better than making graphic chips was marketing them. lokk back at what they promised with tegra 3 and 4.
    But yeah, those values DO look awesome (not the comparison to tegra 4 and the A7, but the HD4400).

and one more thing: think of the A7 PowerVR chip as a smartphone chip, the k1 you will probably only see in tablets

7. TheAnvil macrumors regular

NVIDIA has a history of publishing faked/fixed benchmarks to sell itself.
    Take things with a grain of salt.

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Tegra is the worse chip manufacture, they screamed "next gen" for the tegra 2 and tegra 3 and in actual use they were horrible. The tegra 2 can barely play 720p YouTube videos and within 6 months all support was dropped in favour of the tegra 3 which was disappointing in terms of power and battery life. Many apps in the play store, in their description, do not support tegra products either because of nvidia's bullcrap. PowerVR is a much better company and at least their GPU make huge gains year after year. Also Apple has a 10% stake in them vs nothing in Nvidia. Also I still haven't heard a phone running tegra 4 SOC except maybe one Chinese manufacture but I'm not sure if they are going through.

9. gto55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gto55

10. Liskrig macrumors newbie

I like the specs of the K1, but look what happened with the Tegra 4... As far as I know, it was only available in 1 device (nVidia Shield) and now they have moved on, pushing consumers to the K1. Correct me if I'm wrong, please :p

I'd like to eventually see what happened with the Mac to happen to iOS devices (G# to Intel). After the surprise of the 64-bit chip, I feel that Apple has a lot more to showcase before a jump is made to another brand.

11. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Tegra 4 is also found in Microsoft's Surface and a (few?) Window's phones, part of an exclusive M$ partnership for mobile devices.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

What windows phone uses Tegra 4? I believe they all currently use Snapdragon SOCs.

13. Russiaone macrumors 6502

You're right, sir/madam.

Only Surface uses Tegra 4... M$-wise, anyway.:)

14. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

It's a sir hint the Sr at the end of my name :)

15. Russiaone macrumors 6502

lol, gotta believe me when i say i didn't see that:eek:

16. cynics macrumors G3

I never had a problem with the Tegra series in itself. For work I'm still using a Xoom with a Tegra 2 and it's fine for my uses.

The thing that irked me was the Tegra Store. With android it was just further fragmentation.

While it could run most everything there wasn't a lot optimized for them. I think the specs are very impressive now with the K1 but I don't see Apple going that route with the software they already have in place.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Specs aren't everything. As others have said, if the battery life sucks then Apple should stick with what they are doing.

18. cynics macrumors G3

Supposedly performance per watt it's ahead. Meaning it might use 1.5x more power but it's 2.5x as fast. So in the end it's time to idle is shorter thus using less power.