Should Apple offer me a replacement??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

Hey guys. I have a Late 2008 15 MBP (Purchased March 2009). The display does not always remain closed. It occasionally pops up itself. I have sent it to Apple store twice. The first time I brought it to the store, the genius bar observed the problem and said it's caused by weak magnets. So my laptop was sent to repair center. Five days later, I picked up the laptop from the store and found they did not fix the problem and two screws at the bottom of the machine were missing. The paperwork says they replaced display assembly due to "Sleep Function Not Working". WTF

I then sent the laptop to the same store for repair. This time the genius bar made a note on my laptop so that the staff at repair center could handle the issue carefully. Yesterday, got my laptop back from FedEX. The problem was still there!! The paperwork says they replaced display assembly again. But this time the they found my problem.

I am 70 miles away from the store and it is irritated to drive back and forth.
    I called Apple Care for a resolution. They apologized and said the only thing they could offer is to send me a prepaid shipping box and have the laptop repaired again.!!!

Guys, should I send my laptop in for the third time?? Or is apple supposed to offer a replacement? Please, don't say I am greedy... I spent all my college savings for this laptop and this makes me frustrated.

Thanks!

<UPDATED>

Thanks for all the commnets and suggestions. you guys rock!!

OK, after the second repair, i talked to their senior advisor. He said he is confident that the repair center will fix it this time. When we asked him for a replacement, he said "give us another try. If this repair does not solve the problem, we can discuss other options."

Today, I got my machine back from FedEX and they replaced the display assembly again... I already told their advisor my speculation which is magnets. It has nothing to do with display frame since they have replaced it three times and none of them solves the problem.

I already called the advisor and left a message for him... Hopefully he will call me back soon.

This is not a major issue. Why it is so difficult for Apple to fix it?

2. njean777 macrumors 6502

send it in one more time and if its not fixed then tell them they are not doing their job, which is make the customer happy.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Say this is unacceptable for such an expensive computer and demand a replacement. Threaten to go PC.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I would go in again, ask to speak with the store manager and explain the situation. Tell him/her you are incredibly frustrated and can no longer have any down time without your computer. The manager has the authority to give you a replacement. I would be frustrated, too.

5. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I already asked to talk to their manager. The red shirt guy who I was talking to says he is the manager, which I did not believe. Anyway, I politely asked him if I can get a replacement. He said NO. He also explained that this is not a problem that they cannot handle. I can sent in my computer again and they will have it fixed. . .

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would explain your frustration one more time on the phone and explain how valuable having a working computer is. I'm not sure that Apple would be required to give you a replacement if it fails again, as I'm not sure they would consider it the "same" issue, as one time they found no issue; but, that seems like Apple Care's call, just possibly warning you. That situation arose in my lengthy struggle with Fry's as they would not consider a repair to fully count towards the lemon policy if: there was no issue found by Fry's at the service center, even if I showed it to them in the store or if they did no actual repairing.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah because that's logical. :rolleyes:

OP, 3 times in for the same repair and then yes, you're technically "entitled" to a replacement. You're on #2 unfortunately but now is time to escalate the issue.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does apple have a replacement policy if your machine goes in for repair 3x?

9. rebeccamartin macrumors member

Just send the laptop one more time and see if there is no improvement demand for a replacement , i dont know whether they have a replacement policy or not but they got to answer you for sure.

10. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I have only seen that mentioned here and certainly not "entitled"

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it's an annoying situation, but you're being offered the repairs for "free." Your long drive is a moot point since everyone that brings their machine into an Apple Store has to spend time and gas money doing so. They're offering you a free shipping box- do that and if it's not fixed just keep using the "Can I speak to your supervisor?" line on the phone with AC.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's kind of what I was getting at. Using entitled implies that apple has a stated policy or some sort of "lemon law" in place. Don't get me wrong, I think if the OP (or anyone) sends in a laptop multiple times, getting a new one makes more sense then continually getting the defective one repaired. I have read in the past that apple does this from time to time, though.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple seems to be inconsistent with replacing laptops after mulitple repairs. I really think it depends on the personality of the local manager or decision maker that day. Some people are just naturally sticklers, while others are more easy going. I've read of laptops being replaced right after the first service issue -- and even when they've been out of warranty. I've also heard of people sending their computers in 5 or 6 times or more without the problem being fixed and still denied a replacement. Most managers are sticklers here in NYC--but that's a typical personality type here.

I'd say if you get it back the third time that you call up customer service and escalate the situation (being polite but being sure to express your frustration and anger).

14. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It has been my experience that getting the Apple Store involved a gamble. Going directly to Apple Care on the phone has been the best move. Not only will they send a prepaid box, the computer will often times get back to you within three days. Save your time, gas and nerves and just pick up the phone. Apple Care replaced my Powerbook after two issues with a MBP, so I have had learned not to go to my local Apple Store.

15. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

They are under no obligation to offer you a replacement if they can offer a repair within a reasonable timeframe.

I would hope that they would offer you a replacement if you have any more trouble getting it repaired, but I would expect to have to send it in once more.

You could try getting a guarantee that if it is not repaired next time, you will expect an exchange or refund.

YMMV with that approach though. Good luck!

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It actually is the company policy to replace a computer if it has been in for the same issue of repair three times. If it has been in for separate issues then this doesn't apply, but three times for the same issue gets a replacement. This was confirmed to me by a genius the last time one of my computers was being repaired (as it had been in twice for the same issue). :)

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I just received a replacement for my mid '07 mbp with the mbp in my sig, because of ongoing LCD failures and a logic board replacement. Its best to call applecare and politely state your situation. With a little persistence, patience and civility you will be taken care of, trust me.;)

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're almost right. It's 3 times for the same repair, then if the computer is still having issues Applecare may give the option for replacement. I say "MAY" because not every problem is really a "problem". Remember this is MR, I have seen people create threads over the speaker grill etchings, that's not really a "problem" but the poster still wonders if he should get a replacement?

19. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I've had trouble with applecare lately as well.

I sent in my Macbook Air because the keyboard backlight was backward... lighting up brightly in bright rooms, and turning off in darkness. The Rep told me that they would replace the keyboard.

They had me send it in because I live too far from an apple repair place.

I got it back last week and they replaced the motherboard!... and the keyboard is still backward. They were very helpful on the phone the second time, but now I'm taking it to a friend of mine that is an Apple certified technician. I'll have to wait until I see him again, but it's worth it to know that it will finally be fixed!

20. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the commnets and suggestions. you guys rock!!

OK, after the second repair, i talked to their senior advisor. He said he is confident that the repair center will fix it this time. When we asked him for a replacement, he said "give us another try. If this repair does not solve the problem, we can discuss other options."

Today, I got my machine back from FedEX and they replaced the display assembly again... I already told their advisor my speculation which is magnets. It has nothing to do with display frame since they have replaced it three times and none of them solves the problem.

I already called the advisor and left a message for him... Hopefully he will call me back soon.

This is not a major issue. Why it is so difficult for Apple to fix it?