Should Apple package a "Pro" version of OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by natlinxz, Jun 30, 2010.

1. natlinxz macrumors newbie

I know that a few of the "Get a Mac" ads liked to brag that OS X comes in one version that "has everything you need", but I really think OS X should come in two versions.

One version could be the existing OS X we have now, and the Pro version could be bundled with many of the tools that Professional Mac users will download/purchase anyway, such as MPEG2 codecs, XCode, some Final Cut effects/filters, better memory management and system preferences, you get the idea.

Does anyone else think Apple should recognize their most important user base by putting together a "Pro" version of OS X? What sort of software could be included? Let's discuss.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple already packages a 2nd flavor of the OS, OS X Server.

Which comes with a bunch of "extra" stuff. One of the main ones is to go beyond the 10 user limit of the standard OS.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple's most important user base are customers now, the people working in the field of media are just an old remnant of the past.

I thought XCode comes already with any Mac, on the second DVD maybe. I have it on my SL upgrade DVD.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Besides, OS X is not Windows and does not need to be bloated.

Paying 10$ for the MPEG2 component is better than paying a whole hundred dollars more. If you need XCode, it's included on the DVD. If you need Final Cut Pro effects, install them. No one's going to pay for only one or two features, the rest being useless to them. It's not like Windows Vista basic that lets you run only 3 apps at once...;)

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Different versions of the os would be terrible. It means development is split between the two, third party developers need to e concern with two operatic ystems and so on.

The better thing to do is off different free software to the different userbases like they used to in the past. I remember hen PowerBooks came with different bundled software from the iBooks.

But different os? No thanks.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

8. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

I can see your point. Instead of a separate distro for OS X Pro, Apple would more likely just have a "Pro" on-off switch in System Preferences or something, that alters the OS options, look, downloads codecs, etc.

Seems unlikely that it'll ever happen though.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And including the best of Pro widgets, apps, etc that people typically buy/download likely won't happen.

Since Apple has been actively avoiding any software they have to pay per install on their for a long time.

If they do include it Apple typically would pay a cut rate and evict them at the first sign their software is considered indispensable (aka, when the jack up the licensing fees)

Heck, Apple even got rid of crippleware when it became an industry joke.

Right now, if Apple really feels they need something, they would likely buy the entire company instead of an app.

10. chequepoint macrumors member

I'd only want it if it
    1) Cost a significant amount more than OSX standard
    and
    2) Was very obvious to anyone looking at your computer that you paid more for it.

11. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

That reminds me of the QuickTime Pro switch I have because I still run OS X 10.4 :D

And anyone remember Microsoft's Plus! package? It came with replacement System icons (e.g. - Trash, My Computer) and Internet Explorer. That sounds a lot like your second statement.