Should Apple put MagSafe on the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Should Apple put MagSafe on the next iPhone?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. troop231 macrumors 603

Would seem like a better, cooler idea for charging and syncing, not to mention the dock cables wouldn't break off in the phone. What do you think? Discuss..

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

No, the magnet would interfere with the compass.

3. SFGiantsfan macrumors newbie

sounds like a good idea, but I wouldnt want my phone accidentally disconnecting halfway though a back up ...

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

:rolleyes:

5. arashamedani macrumors member

I don't think the iPhone is heavy enough, it would go flying regardless of a MagSafe.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm don't even think it's possible to have data transfer over a magnetic/inductive connection like that. It requires a fairly tight pin-to-pin connection.

7. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Depending on the magnet strength, maybe. At least it would keep the dock connector safe from breaking.

8. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

that may be a good idea but i'm not sure if that's really needed since for most ppl it'll just be sitting in the dock:)

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's an interesting idea but unfortunately I can think of zero reasons for it.

The laptops have it because people string laptop cords across the floor. iPhone cables are just a foot or two long and you set them right next to the thing you're plugging them in to.

The mag-safe on my laptop has saved it from falling a half dozen times now but I can't think of a single instance over the last 2 years where my iPhone has been put in a similar situation.

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

The magnetic connection is only for mechanical purposes; the actual signal is still transmitted through the metal contacts you see within the cable and port. Might be possible to do with the 30-pin, though I'm guessing the tolerances for that many tiny pins would be much lower, and instances of disconnects would increase dramatically.

I'm more than sure they've tested the concept... there's no doubt they put 1+1 together before we ever dream it up.;)

11. heesey1010 macrumors member

I'd rather see something like inductive charging coming to the iPhone...I mean MagSafe on an iPhone would be pretty cool, but kind of useless (someone prove me wrong though)

12. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Wouldn't it be neat though? At least Steve can say it's a new feature for iPhone 5 and give a 10 min. speech about it lol.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, they should just include the dock for free again. Also the MagSafe would make all of the old accessories obsolete. However, if I had my choice at a new syncing wire, it would be like the ones that come with electric toothbrushes.The magnet would attack to it, but the port would remain flush. The headphones could be done like this to (Apple provides an adaptor) and then you could make the phone waterproof (now that's a feature!)

14. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan of pre-fragmented stuff, but I think it might really FUBAR an iPho-

Wait.

Different Mag Safe.

15. thercanbeonly1 macrumors newbie

Wireless sync, and mag-safe for charging would be awesome.

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You're right. It wouldn't protect the phone from flying off a desk, but I think it would give me some added convenience. I put my iPhone in its dock every night in pitch black darkness. It always takes a minute or two to get it in properly. Mag would definitely help me out in this situation. Plus, it would be easier to plug and unplug from my Mac. I like the idea.

17. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Mag Safe would be nice to have on the iPhone. But I think if someone were to trip or something on the cord, it would still pull the phone because it is so light.

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

One of the biggest selling points to me is that the 30 pin Apple Dock connector is standard. Cars have iPod mounts. Clock radios have slots to put your iDevice, etc.

The MagSafe connector is just great for power to a device that has batteries, where if someone accidently knocks off the plug, it won't do anything nasty, assuming there is some battery charge left. Maybe combine the MagSafe connector and wireless syncing, and this would be useful. Otherwise, I hope Apple just keeps the 30 pin dock.