Should Apple release the Ipad 3 in silver?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Feb 12, 2012.

?

Should Apple release a silver Ipad 3?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    74.4%
  1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Simple question a silver front frame with the usual silver back to make it look like a Macbook air and end the debate about going for a black Ipad or white one as there would be a "inbetween" tech colour. Can't see them doing blue, red so silver seems most realistic.

The leaked images of the back actually look more silver on the inside so do you think a Ipad 3 silver would be a cool idea?

2. zp3dd4 macrumors member

It would still be glossy due to the glass on top, thus not quite looking like an MBA. More choice is usually better.

3. arterio macrumors member

I said no for one reason.

More selection is great for the consumer, as they can get something they prefer. If they don't like white or black, then aluminium would be a fitting alternative.

From a development standpoint though, more selection means you have to thin out your available hardware between the different styles, thus giving less hardware to the other available styles. And if rumors / reports are correct, the retina display in the iPad 3 is having low yeilds. With the current Black & White styles, your hardware is divided to the two styles, if you add aluminium (silver) to the mix, you're just making the number of each style go down for launch. Apple is only going to be able to have so many iPad 3's ready for launch in March. So throwing in a third style is only going to make it harder for people to get the one they want, especially if Apple anticipates a rush to the new 'silver' style, and it's not as big a hit as anticipated. Black & White models will be sold out all over the place, leaving an excess of silver models. Some people will buy them just because they don't want to wait for new stock to come in, but they won't be 100% happy because it's not 'the one they wanted'.

A silver iPad 3 might be something apple releases down the road once the initial demand for the new device has died down. Kinda the way the white iPhone 4 did. But I don't think it'll be available on launch day. And there's also the argument of skins. Don't like the way it looks, get it skinned.

4. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Am not a silver fan. Starts to look like Toshiba or something from Panasonic. If anything, rainbow type colors as the original iMac in the Apple tradition.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sorry OP, but I'm having a hard time imagining a silver iPad, as there would have to be glass on top :eek:

----------

Limited edition :)

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Maybe if it was brushed aluminum might be really nice looking but there's not a chance of apple releasing it for the ipad3. It would also cost more so not until recesssion is over.

Limited edition for the 5 might be good idea, mysir ^

7. OH!MAC™ macrumors member

OH!MAC™

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

I heard they're making one with a promethium bezel...

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I see no reason they shouldn't expand color options save brand recognition.

10. camardelle macrumors 6502

Agree wholeheartedly. Offer it in lots of colors like an iPod. It might be a good marketing stratgy. Me? I'll take the current version.

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

In other words, you see no reason they shouldn't expand color options except for one gigantic reason.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Really? Better for whom? There are currently 6 variants (16GB, 32GB, 64GB X WiFi Only, WiFi+3G) in 2 colors with 2 networks. That's 18 separate models that need to be stocked by retailers. Adding one color to the lineup takes it to 27. That may well be fine if we're talking about iPod Nano's but not iPads. Nobody wants to devote that much floor space or warehouse that many models. It will also undoubtedly lead to a lot of disappointment as most stores will only carry a couple of units of non-black colors.

You want colors, buy a case/skin.

13. eaf7s macrumors regular

My boyfriend is inventory head at an Apple store and he is praying that they don't make more lol.