Should Apple rename iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stewart715, May 27, 2010.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Is it just me or is the name iTunes a bit well...inappropriate for everything that iTunes does...

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Perhaps, but the branding of iTunes is not something that Apple really want's to change and eliminate. In the end, the title's accuracy matters not if it's really popular. I mean the name "Donkey Kong" really isn't accurate either - it never had a thing to do with donkey's nor does it have anything to do with King Kong (despite Universal's option at the time). That being said, it's a powerful brand name that is widely successful. You just don;t mess with that kind of success.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The weird thing is, you used to use iSync for iPod, iSync for cellphones. I really think they need to re-split iTunes into iTunes and iSync.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Not a chance in hell. itunes is an established and extremely successful. Apple would gain absolutely nothing by changing the name but would lose lots of brand recognition. iTunes is king of the music industry so there is no way that Apple is going to try some silly stunt like changing the name.

5. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

One thing the name iTunes shows is that Apple didn’t yet have the vision/road map in place of what all it would do when they named it.

6. celticpride678

Does "iTunes" really fit the application? No.

I don't think Apple expected iTunes to turn into these different things when they first developed it.

They aren't going to change the name because everyone knows the name "iTunes."