Should Apple Stop Stocking Retail Stores b/c of the Scalping?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jw nyc, Mar 21, 2011.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Just a quick thought but due to the insane amount of scalping that is going on with the iPad 2, would it be smart for Apple to ONLY sell the iPad 2 online until it is released worldwide? Once it is released everywhere, scalpers won't be able to sell for 2-3x the price so it would die down quickly and re-stock their stores. But for now, instead of stocking their stores in the NYC area (at least), they should think about sending that stock directly to their customers.

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You'd think Apple could do reservations like last year. It would make life much easier for all the people trying to chase one down every day. :D

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No. They have all these stores open so that people wouldn't have to buy Apple products online. They coulda done some reserves or something along those lines.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Whats to stop a scalper from ordering online? I suppose Apple could place a limit, but they could just place multiple orders under different names.

Also, there might be another outcry that iPads aren't available for cash in the stores.

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Because have 0 iPads available would make people happy?

6. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

They would be able to supply the people that want them faster if they weren't being shipped to China instead. You won't have to wait on line for 5+ hours and their orders will be processed faster. I think it would make a lot of sense (at LEAST in Manhattan where it's virtually impossible to get an iPad at a retail location).

7. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I think if they did reservations it would help cut down on scalpers a lot.

They should do reservations where one person can only have up to 2 reservations at a time. Once one of their reservations comes in, they can get back on the list, but at the back of it. Then you won't have the same people buying up all the stock day after day and you won't have people whining that Apple refuses to sell to them because they already bought 50 iPads.

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

If you are looking the Best Buy at 86th and Lexington had a few 16gb WiFi earlier. Not sure if they are still there

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Until they invent transporter technology to beam your money over to Apple, you can't use cash online ;)

10. obey908 macrumors 6502a

You can use cash to buy visa cards to buy iPads

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If people want to pay insane prices for an iPad2 then the scalpers are not scalping anybody. If these people had patience, or more time than money, they would order online, wait the month or whatever, and get exactly the model they wanted.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So last year everyone complained when Apple imposed its "2 per person" policy and required you use your Apple ID, No Cash was allowed and you had to activate your iPad before you left the Store.

Now everyone is complaining because Apple decided to not impose any rules.

come people, pick one.

13. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh? Based on your definition, there is no such thing as scalping. The whole point of scalping anything is to buy a product and sell it for higher than face value.

When the average consumer can't get their hands on a product b/c of the scalping, it becomes an issue that needs to be addressed.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This issues exist with other products/companies, not just Apple.

Did you ever search eBay right after the PS3 was released and sold out, the asking price was easily $200-$300 above the MSRP (this is just 1 example of a larger problem). Why do scalpers continue to do this, because their is an obvious market of people who are willing to pay, and they are willing to sell it to you.

eBay is doing its part to help Apple (or Apple asked for help). eBay has imposed limits of the quantities of iPad 2's you can list at a given time/week

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/selling-ipad-2s-ebay-easy/

15. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I've always wondered why Apple doesn't ask a buyer to present a US passport or ID when buying..

16. JamesSmart macrumors newbie

JamesSmart

I think it should be 1 per person and in order to buy one you have to leave your apple ID so that you cant return, but to them a bought iPad is a bought iPad: No matter who buys it

17. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Because you do not need to be a US citizen to buy an iPad?s Apple may be taking some heat because of the scalpers but thats nothing compared to the bad press they would get if overly restricitive policies on who can and who can not buy an iPad prevented a 'legitamate' buyer from purchasing one. It wasn't all that long ago they caught heat for not accepting cash from a disabled woman.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=63811

18. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I was fine with last year's policy. But at the very least one should have to provide their Apple ID, and the max 2-3 iPads should be enforced.

19. wshields macrumors newbie

Not stocking stores is a bit like torching and salting the fields to get rid of weeds.

My suggestions:

- Limit of 1 per customer;
    - Reservations only for cash sales (you need to show ID to prove it's you);
    - No cash sales for an initial window (say 4-8 weeks) of a product launch; and/or
    - Treat prepaid CCs as cash.

It's pretty much too late to do anything about this now but it seems likely (to me) that Apple will do the next big launch (assumedly iPhone 5) differently.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why can't a cash customer buy an ipad on launch day? Not everyone who pays cash is a scalper. I know people who refuse to use plastic. Going cash only is the best way for people who are carefully watching over their money.
    However, I do like the idea of limiting 1 per customer.

21. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is stupid. Also i buy iPad 2 from USA and ebay. Becase its cheaper then the retail price here In norway.

22. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

I paid cash for my iPad2, never really thought of the scalpers. But if you really think about what you're asking, does it make any sense? When did fairness take over common capitalism? Not only on the scalpers side but on apple's side as well.

If you were making something that everyone wanted, why would you restrict who can get it, let alone how many. I can understand the "how many" aspect so that it makes it difficult for scalpers to just have one person in line by a truck load, but it also makes the scalpers lives a little more difficult in the sense that they have to get more people to stand in line to reach their quota. It's a bold move but if they want it, they'll get it.

Same goes for apple, why would they stop selling a hot item? cause its not fair to the general public that wants it? I understand that, but in the business world where my money matters, no one will give you a chance. It's pretty cut-throat when it comes to money. When it really comes down to it, sure apple will lose money to scalpers, but gain it back from the app store (possibly).

My advice, don't stress too much about the scalpers, order it online and forget about it till it shows up, otherwise you'll just get more irritated at the fact that nothing can be done, nor will be done.

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I think Apple should just dissolve and stop selling everything. End of problem.

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, luckily enough I'm saving up money to upgrade to a Xoom since I have iPad 1 :D

25. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

This made me lol... You think apple gives a **** about scalpers????? They're loving the attn and making a ton of $$$$ during the process...