Should Apple Stores Replace Displays Or Just Replace the iPhone Instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 23, 2009.

?

Is an iPhone replacement justified if an iPhone has a problem with its display/glass

1. Yes, the entire iPhone should be replaced.

51.9%
  2. Yes, the entire iPhone should be replaced. (I've been dissatisfied with a display replacement)

3.7%
  3. No, only the display should be replaced.

29.6%
  4. No, only the display should be replaced. (I've been satisfied with a display replacement)

14.8%
  1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After having the screen on my iPhone 3GS replaced (even though an AppleCare rep told the Genius to replace the iPhone), I ended up dissatisfied with the screen replacement. There are scratches and knicks across the screen, and after further examination, there are a few pieces of dust under the screen as well.

Should a problem with the screen/glass justify an iPhone replacement? It can be difficult to replace a screen in a regular store without leaving some kind of marks and dust under the screen. Even the smallest mark under the display can get annoying during normal usage. I'm sure that it's rare for a Genius to do a perfect display replacement, so I think that an iPhone that has display/glass problems should be replaced if it's under warranty.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not only do they do a horrendous job, but they actually think they are doing an awesome job. I would make contact with Customer Relations after meeting with the Store Manager. If you still don't get a replacement, then ask the Store Manager for their business card and ask for the email address or the phone number to make contact with Customer Relations. Keep us posted....:(:(:(

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I had already contacted AppleCare. The first rep I spoke to said that I would have to pay for the repair or go back to the store and convince the store to give me a replacement. I then asked to talk to a higher-up rep. I went over what happened again and he set up a mail-in replacement service, which is inconvenient, but beats keeping this. Check out my last thread for more about my experience, this is a thread to discuss if Apple Stores should replace displays if you have a problem with the display/glass.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AppleCare is definitely NOT Customer Relations. I'll PM you the email address to help you get the situation addressed by Customer Relations....:cool::cool::cool:

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's been taken care of with AppleCare, but thanks anyway.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

The one "Genius" I had to deal with was a prick and from now on I'm dealing directly with AppleCare.

8. dmb499 macrumors regular

what are the chances of apple replacing my scratched up 3gs if i don't have applecare?

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

They need to replace that genius, with someone that KNOWS how to replace a glass display; how's about sending the iPhone back to CHINA!!! :(:(:(

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think they replace the display when there's a display problem because it's a lot cheaper to swap out a display than refurbish the iPhone. Plus, it's not fair if people have a display problem, so they abuse their iPhone for a few months... make sure it has a bunch of scratches, then go get a replacement to start over with a new phone. I think people who plan on abusing their iPhone in hopes of getting a replacement will be pretty sad when Apple just swaps out the display and hands them back their scratched up iPhone.

You know... I got dust under my glass once. I took the screen off (took about 5 minutes) and blew the dust out with one of those lens cleaners air puff things. Then I put the screen back on. It was so easy... undo 2 screws at the bottom and pull the screen off with a suction cup.

Anyways. I would've taken my iPhone back and asked them re-do the screen replacement and get the dust out.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Weird. At the store near me, the Geniuses use glass cleaner to remove finger prints/marks from the back of the screens, and to get dust, they use that roller thing that they've been using for the last few years when they replace iMac screens.

For a Genius that wants to do a good job, the process is not difficult.

Sounds like you got a crappy Genius.