Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Forward my proofs with iOS 10pb2 in my iPad mini 2 I don't feel significant stutter or frame drops

Maybe it's a placebo sense or maybe is because of uncrypted kernel

Make it sense Apple uncrypted 9.3.3 kernel as it will be last version for so many old devices hopefully getting lack of stutters and improving performances?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Highly unlikely to happen for 9.3.3. It's part of iOS 10.

I also wouldn't say "so many devices" for having 9.3.3 as the last OS. iOS 9 to iOS 10 only drops one generation. The A5 devices. The majority can move on with iOS 10. iOS 10 at launch supports 4 generations of devices (if you include the upcoming iPhone 7)

You can't sit on an old device forever and demand new stuff for it. Don't be surprised when iOS 11 goes 64bit only and all 32bit support is dropped. (iOS 10 is already well on the way there)

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
So many devices, for sure only one generation: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4S but if you sum the number of devices it could be several millions that still works for so many people

If uncrypted kernel optimize the performance of all of them and it will be the last signed iOS for that I'd guess could be great that they can do it

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So many devices, for sure only one generation: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4S but if you sum the number of devices it could be several millions that still works for so many people

If uncrypted kernel optimize the performance of all of them and it will be the last signed iOS for that I'd guess could be great that they can do it

Apple is gearing up to dump 32bit devices all together soon (can almost guarantee iOS 11 does this.) They probably really aren't too concerned with something they really don't support anymore moving forward. As long as it runs. 9.3.3 is deep in beta and at this point won't magically get an unencrypted kernel. That's an iOS 10 thing, not 9.

Apple supports their phones longer than any other company already. However it's not their fault there are some who hold on to their device for 4-5+ generations. As harsh as it sounds, they are due for an upgrade. Especially if they want newer features. You say millions, but at Apple's scale even millions can be a small percent of the total. Pretty sure more people sit in the A6-A9 (soon to also include A10) generations than there are who sit in the A5.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You mention there are devices still using A5. Then can I say I see devices still using iOS 7, iPad mini 2, which does not need to upgrade at all, and kernel is absolutely encrypted?

Device drop is inevitable, as time goes on. And since iOS 9 is approaching its support lifecycle, I too don't expect they will decrypt iOS 9 kernel at this small variation.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
should apple? sure.. is it worth backporting that work for a ios 9.4? no. will they? no. well, yes, but its called ios 10.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I assume this pertains to the Cache, otherwise this would be a major security risk*. I'll have to do some more digging because all I've heard about this is just rumors (no pun intended).

*Government surveillance/backdoors

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I assume this pertains to the Cache, otherwise this would be a major security risk*. I'll have to do some more digging because all I've heard about this is just rumors (no pun intended).

*Government surveillance/backdoors
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You are difinitively wrong. Please step out of the class.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You are difinitively wrong. Please step out of the class.

I thought so, hence the "digging" part of my post.

Why should I "step out of class" when the purpose is to learn?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.